Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The White Dress and procrastination-1994

To my chargrin I have always been somewhat of a procrastinator. It's a deadly weakness because it's forever a cycle. I want to change it about myself, but I procrastinate until I decide that it is hopeless...until I feel the need to change it about myself...and so on and so forth!


So remember this post...where I told you to keep my sister's wedding dress in mind? Remember that? Those of you who have kept up should. It was a dress to rival any early 90's wedding dress.

Now you remember? Yes that one...well...

Since my parents didn't have any much money and my end of the year Drill Team Concert was coming up...I needed to find a dress and fast...I had waited too long to earn any money for one. Plus, I didn't have a job. When I finally realized I only had a few days to get a dress because a good friend reminded me that I needed one for the concert-I freaked...

I think you now know where this is going..so yes, my only options were either:

1) Wear one of Dance Masta's old 80's dresses from high school. Which would have been a catastrophe also...
2)Make myself a dress...hahahahahaha, yea right!
3) Borrow a dress from a friend...I TRIED, I really did, but to my dismay, they either were too big in the chest or to big in the hips, or too short...or the dresses were plain ugly to me
4) Wear the only one that fit properly and was available to me to wear...luckily, for me, Dance Masta wasn't super huge in the chest...

So YES ladies and few gentleman...I, a 15 year old teenager, was forced, by no other options to me, because I procrastinated, to wear my older sister's wedding dress! I did not misspell that. I wore her wedding dress, temple worthy and all!

I begged to get the shoulder pads taken out, but because of the money spent on the dress it was forbidden. I already had broad shoulders for a girl...I, in fact, suffer NOW because I would hunch over a tad so that they didn't look so broad growing up...I am always trying to straighten my back and shoulders...what stupid things we do in high school I SWEAR!

Look in this picture below...doesn't my head look REALLY small for my shoulders?

Don't get me wrong...the dress was BEAUTIFUL if one was getting married...

Afterwards lots of people came up to either me or my parents and told us how "modest" I looked! Which in my town was an extremely BIG compliment, so my parents strutted around with pride. But to me, in 1994...BLAH...hello, I was a 15...I wanted to be skanky and show off any curves I could...I didn't want to be MODEST...I wanted to be downright SEXY...wanted by ALL Seniors who never even looked twice at me, make them regret not noticing me in the halls with my bedhead ( I really did try to do my hair at this point...but I always went with the natural, just get up and brush through my hair with a brush or shower if I must, then blow dry, then brush. That was the extent of getting ready to me)...you would think I was a ghost for all the attention I was given...ah well, it is my plight I guess.

Don't ask me what was up with my make-up. I proudly did it myself...Maybe I was going for the smokey eye look? I don't know, in the first picture I almost look like I had a lazy eye.

But don't let this fool you...I was DEAD sexy that night...at least that is the impression I was given by my parents and family and that is what I am stickin' to...thank you very much!

Other things to read

Blog Archive