Sunday, July 27, 2008

Letter to Man with Comb Over...

Dear Man with Comb Over: (the picture is not actually the man I saw-it's from google images!)

Hello it's me...you know, the annoying lady who walked on after everybody boarded and sat 4 rows and to the right of you.

What you don't know is that because of my inherent weakness to laugh at anything and everything...mostly uncontrollable I might add, I received very weird and crazy stares from people around me when I laughed, from my gut, out loud, right before the door was to open on the plane and everyone was just waking up from the long 6 hour over night flight.

That's right, the insane, crazy, LOUD laughter was mine, and I was laughing at you...I would've laughed with you, but I don't think you knew what I was laughing at...sorry, it was you...I really didn't mean to do it out loud, I meant to do it in my mind, but unfortunately I couldn't control it, I was in a half induced sleep from all the peanuts I had eaten and your hair caught me by surprise sticking straight up off of you head like in the movies, and I laughed...from my gut...and out loud!

Then I look around and everyone is staring at me...some with pitying looks and half smiles, others with utter confusion and still other with understanding looks...either way, I was getting stared at.

I'm going to give you advice because you looked like a nice man and I wasn't meaning to be rude...really. So out of guilt here it is. Get it cut off, seriously, you will look a lot more distinguished...you have a handsome round head, embrace your baldness, it is part of you...who you are! Then you can avoid embarrassing situations like your hair poking straight up from your head after you fell asleep on the plane.

Yours Truly,
Shelle

I'm not kidding when I say the last time I saw a comb over that was worse than the one I saw on the airplane was when Donald Trump was fighting with Rosie O' Donnell and he was on a show I saw while flipping through the television...

BTW I'm back from my trip and it was a GOOD time! The only thing that might have dampered it was the fact that we were frolicking in the ocean when baby portuguese man o war's were there. Apparently this is a common occurence seven days after a full moon. (We should have taken the hint when we saw that NO ONE ELSE was getting in the water...next time people, have the decency to at least laugh at us so we got SOME kind of warning we were doing something stupid) See WE were staying on the East shore of Oahu in a private beach house.


There was not sign like this ...

nor had we read this before we left for our trip...I googled them and found this warning:

The beaches on Oahu's East shore, commonly referred to as the Windward coast, are infamous for the presence of the portuguese man-of-war. This is as there is a nearly constant inshore wind blowing.
We routinely notify the media when we anticipate or observe large
"swarms" - the press has been very cooperative in airing and printing these
warning and alert notices. Guarded beaches on O`ahu are posted with special
signs by lifeguards when there are portuguese man-of-wars or
jellyfish
swarming in the surrounding ocean. Observe these signs, stay out of the water,
to avoid being stung - a very painful, perhaps even potentially deadly
experience.


We did however hear the news after my nephew Z was stung twice by them and my niece Tae was stung once. We then stayed out of the water until they had passed our beaches or the wind died down.

It did damper our beach frolicking though...the crazy thing is...is that my son DCar went in the water no matter what and never got stung once...when we weren't out touring the exciting things of the island, he was swimming and playing in the ocean...it was a wonder he didn't get stung since Mountain Sport Man found 8 of the baby Jellyfish washed up on the beach...here's proof!

Crazy stuff...did any of you know about these?

Well now you do...and you can thank me when you plan your Hawaii vacation, because I'm cool like that.

Other things to read

Blog Archive