Sunday, April 19, 2009

Serious Sunday: Melancholy

I'm feeling melancholy today.


But in a good way.

I'm a teacher for my Relief Society.

That is my calling.

I enjoy it SOOOO much... but every time I go to prepare a lesson I read and research and read in hopes of covering what I need to cover and picking out the best possible thought or lesson embedded in ALL that we are given to present.

Sometimes, I feel, I must admit that I am overwhelmed and under-qualified.  I thought that after a while I would feel more comfortable and less overwhelmed...but I haven't yet.

Every lesson effects me differently... sometimes I am filled with hope, sometimes I am filled with guilt, then sometimes I am melancholy.

Like today.  My lesson was during the time Joseph Smith was in Liberty Jail.  Where we get Doctrine and Covenants sections 121, 122, 123... like other religions and people, the saints suffered persecution, imprisonment, and death because of what they believed.  They were different in what they believed, unknown, and feared.  The authorities that put the Prophet and some of the leaders in jail admitted that they (the prophet and leaders) did nothing wrong, but the state authorities and officials were afraid of what the MOB would do if they were to release the prisoners.  For MONTHS they were kept in horrible conditions for no other reason then one of fear.

You know what brought the Prophet and Leaders the most anguish while they were imprisoned?  Hearing what the guards were saying was going on to the saints... about persecuting, beating, and driving them from their homes.

I don't get that?  I can't wrap my brain around it.  I taught the lesson, I understand what lessons they learned, I get that part.

I just don't get cruelty at all.

I know it just isn't our church, there are other religions and groups of people who have been or are going through this kind of cruelty...

So I'm melancholy.

But it's good...cause it reminds me of the person I want to be... 

I may not be able to make a HUGE difference being just me, but I don't have to add to ignorance that is combined with cruelty.

Hope you had a good Sunday...

Love,

Shelle



18 comments:

Southern Sage said...

Oh but your actions make a difference in everyone life that you touch. Every child you teach and every person you come into contact with every day. The huge difference is when your kids and their kids turn out to be good people.

Kindness is contagious.

T said...

cruelty is so foreign to me... and while we may be just one person (each) that's one person, teaching handfuls more people - to be kind...

Heidi Ashworth said...

I'm sure you spice up RS tons and tons--they've gotta love you! Meanwhile, that story always makes me feel melancholy, esp since one of my ancestors, Caleb Baldwin, was in Liberty Jail with Joseph. He made it to Salt Lake but his death certificate said that he died from injuries sustained years earlier while defending the prophet (he was his body guard and wasn't arrested but wouldn't leave him . . .)

Kritta22 said...

Wow! We had this lesson today too but our teacher took it in a different direction.

Kritta22 said...

She taught today about how we need to be cheerful in the things we do. Even if our kitten just died, we need to be grateful for what we do have.

Kritta22 said...

Like that Joseph was going through the horrible time in jail but he still had joy that the Gospel was being put on the Earth. And that there were other people hearing the Gospel.

Kritta22 said...

It's so interesting how the same pages and words lead people in different directions. It's just like the scriptures, you can read the same verse and think of something totally different. I L O V E it!!

Kritta22 said...

Oh how cool is that that Heidi's relative was Joseph Smith's body guard!!??!

Like she wasn't famous enough??!

:)

Kritta22 said...

I just have to say again that I love your Serious Sundays.

Can I come visit your RS?

Barbaloot said...

Teaching is one of my dreaded callings. Glad you like it---and sounds like you do a good job:)

Heather of the EO said...

This made me think of the Sara Groves song "When the Saints"

It lists all kinds of people through history that have walked a hard road of persecution, ending with Jesus.

The YouTube videos for that song are kind of cheesy, but at least you could hear the words...

if you want. :)

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I wish you were my relief society teacher. That would rock so hard.

I totally hear ya.

I mean, I totally get ya.

According to Ana said...

I am glad you gave a synopsis of the lesson since I spent most of the time in the hall.

Thanks for teaching.

I think you do a great job.

Anjeny said...

I can totally relate on the part about feeling under-qualified. I don't like teaching an adult class, esp. in RS, I always feel like they can see right through me and all my imperfections you know.

And yes, I don't get the cruelty either...I honestly can't see why any human being can justify literally inflicting pain on other human being just because their beliefs or ideals are different.

Thanks for this spiritual post, a great lesson. I can tell you're a great teacher and that you're doing a fantastic job teaching in RS. Keep up the good work!

shannon said...

It's probably a good thing that I'm not in your Relief Society class cause I'm pretty sure I'd just be staring at your brilliant teeth the whole time! :) Nothing like hearing that when your trying to be all serious...

I'm sure you are an excellent teacher...You have such an engaging personality...you're such a breath of fresh air...

I can't believe how much the early saints had to deal with...it always blows my mind...

I can't understand being cruel to people just because they have different beliefs...

I'm glad I didn't live back then...even though we've got our own set of problems, I'm grateful that I'm not worried about being tarred and feathered...I can't even imagine!

Mother Goose said...

i get it too, i was melancholy as well. I can't comprehend the hatred then, during the times of christ or today. It is inconceivable. OH don't get me wrong I can be mean and snooty but I could not bring myself to physically hurt someone or emotionally hurt someone to tears. It's just not in me.

Sherrie Shepherd Piano Music said...

I look up to anyone who can teach Relief Society. If I ever got called to that, I would literally die. I would rather sing or play the piano in front of millions than speak or teach a lession. It is definitely the most terrifying thing to me in the world.
So...good job!

Jen said...

I too missed this lesson today, so thank you for the synopsis. And while I love those sections of scripture, it is very hard to think of what the prophet had to go through so we could have them.

And judging by your ONE HUNDRED TWELVE FOLLOWERS, I'd say you're making a sizeable impact. Just look at all the people who love you!

Obviously you rock.

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad