Sunday, June 1, 2008

If your going to fall...go down like my Dad!

I decided that for the summer I was going to try and teach my kids how to cook...I know, don't laugh...the poor kids will most likely learn what to avoid, but I'm trying here...I get points for that right? Well I get this wonderful magazine every few months called, "Simple and Delicious"...it used to be called, "Quick Cooking" which is why it was so alluring to me...the new name is more elegant, but it's the bomb of a magazine if you are a, just learning how to cook, cook, like me!

I have been to functions where they have the most delicious dessert and I would instantly slur, in a euphoric state, "what IS this most delicious treat ever?"--some kind person who would take pity on me would say, "It's a fruit pizza!", I would mumble, "Me likey Fruit Pizza". My sister-in-law made it one time while we were at their house for dinner and I meant to ask her the recipe...but to no one's surprise I forgot and life went on!

I went to get the mail and in my mailbox was my wonderful magazine. I instantly tore it open...threw out all the post card looking things that want me to renew or update my subscription and looked through all the recipe's. At this point I usually put the magazine on my bureau and with all good intentions tell myself that I will go through and make a grocery list of all my favorite recipe's I want to try...you guessed it...it usually ends up getting dust on it and I put it away without actually trying the recipe's, again with every intention of looking at it later in life when I get my brain back...

No I didn't get my brain back, but I actually went through with my good intentions...you know why? That's right...some genius put the recipe to the great and wonderous Fruit Pizza in the magazine! Who hoo..!

So I made one...and it was a HIT! Mountain Sport Man ate 3/4 of it and DCar ate a good portion, my Dad ate a piece...don't forget about me, I ate 1 1/2 pieces...it was DE-LISH and I AM patting myself on the back right now...I'm so going gourmet dessert cook after this!

So this weekend we were invited over to a friends house. Friends that are not only ours but my parents also! My father informed us the next day, after my famous fruit pizza, that we were invited to a BBQ over at this friends house and MountainSport Man was in charge of cooking on the BBQ and my assignment was to make a fruit pizza per the friends request.

HA! That was my reply...nice one Dad, because I didn't even know I could make a fruit pizza until the night before! He thinks he's so sly!
I love BBQ's so this floated along nice with me!

So Saturday was the big day...and MountainSport Man actually helped me make the pizza and pick out the fruit. He's an artist so he wanted to make the pizza look all pretty...where the one I did before I haphazardly threw the fruit onto the pizza!


Doesn't it look so yummy? Yea it totally was...just in case you were wondering...TOTALLY was!


And if I was in a Yoplait Yogurt commercial I would say something like, "This is so good it is better than an undisturbed nap... good!" Didn't MSM make that pizza SO pretty...he's for hire in case you were wondering...

We had a great time at the BBQ... and we were introduced to a new game I have never heard of...but is actually a pretty well known sport called, "Pickle Ball" and I'm probably even spelling it wrong...but it's big time...especially among Senior Citizens!lol! My Husband loves it and wants to play it all the time now, but unfortunately we don't have paddles nor a wiffle ball---I stunk at it, but that is what it is...I have to practice with sports...they dont' come natural!

My Father got out there to try it...and right when he got up to do it...the neighbors came over with 3 strapping young boys in their 20's...my Dad continued to play with them...the ball was coming towards him and the young guy went for it...my Dad thought the paddle was going to hit him so to get away he moved back and stepped on his foot and then everything went into slow motion...

It's like watching a scary dream where you try and run but you can't run fast enough...

My Dad continues to step back and the WINDMILL arms start and he is quickly going backwards and there is no HOPE...he's going DOWN...I wanted to look away but it was like a train wreck...you HAVE to watch! My father is 6' 3"...I'm not sure of his weight...but a big guy...and he started falling...below him only rocks...

He instantly tucked his arms in and twisted his body so that the brunt of his fall was the Left side of his body...good plan, only that he looked at the last second to see where he was going to fall and his face hit the rocks...HARD! He rolled over on his back and everyone was silent for what seemed like FOREVER...then we all started asking..."how are you", "Did you break anything?"...you know, dumb questions!

I wanted to cradle him in my lap and tell him it would all be okay...I felt so bad...
My dad is a prideful guy so he got right up and said he was okay...that he didn't hurt all that bad! Then we saw the blood start flowing on his face...


Once we got it under control this is how he looked...


Pretty beat up...he asked, "you aren't going to blog this are you"...ummm yea Dad, hello it's a blog about my personal life...and this is a good STORY!!!lol! I have to say though...if you are going to fall, tuck everything in like my Dad...don't stick your hands out to catch yourself like my Mom and break a wrist and a thumb! :)
Posted by Picasa

Other things to read

Blog Archive