Monday, September 8, 2008

Self-proclaiming...Self-promotion...does that make sense to anyone? Didn't think so! Call it creativity...

UPDATE: Okay they have this cool FOLLOWERS gadget with BLOGGER...and I added it to my Left Side bar...so you ADD me and I'll ADD you...then we can all look like we are UBER popular! LOL! Seriously though...start follow...everyone's doing it! :)

Even though I may seem totally full of myself...I'm really not. Even writing that sentence makes me seem that way huh?

But I'm not...

I like to talk big...but I can't quite back it up...if you know what I mean.

Growing up in the Dance industry...the one thing I was awful at was self-promoting myself. Seriously...

To make it anywhere in the Dance world...you not only have to be GOOD at what you do, but you also need to know how to speak up and tell people how good you are...which I would always JOKINGLY do...but it was hard for me to seriously do it...

For example...in dance class when you are learning a new piece and you have a "guest" choreographer...as a dancer...you realize that they have NO idea how talented, or for some, not talented you are. So when they ask, "Who can turn like there is NO tomorrow...?" (Definition: Unlimited turns...or at least 3 or more pirouette's). If you were a great dancer who could self-promote yourself you would instantly have your hand raised...or you would break out in a triple or quad pirouette.

I hated doing that. It's funny because my niece Tae just went through this exact thing...My older sister was like that...I was like that...she is like that...but, if you are going to make it in that tough world...you HAVE to do it.

I would just always hope that they would pick up on my talent and not make me TELL them I could do it...

Being a choreographer myself now...I realize...sometimes when you don't know the group very well, and you only have a few hours to put a piece on them...you just throw out moves you want...and it usually is, at least for me, first come first serve. The first person that shows me they can do it and do it well, is usually the first person I put in that spot for that particular solo or move for the dance.

I think this applies to most things in normal life. I have just never been really good at it. I usually do the opposite and downplay any talent I have because I don't want to sound prideful...and it's also a protective thing...I don't want to talk like I'm all that...and then not be up to par, or up to their par, and get rejected or fail! Do you have that same problem?

I have gotten a little better at promoting what I feel is MY talent...but, you know, kind of still have a problem as seeing it as spectacular or original, if you know what I mean.

So I was excited when Untypically Jia, who started Modern Molly Mormon, specifically emailed me to asked me to write for her site. I was so flattered that ANYONE would think that my writing is worth it (She was asking for ANY contributors...but I was flattered that she went out-of-her-way to write me a specifically ask me :))...I can't tell you what a childhood dream it was for me to be a writer. In 6th grade I wrote a piece about my experience playing in the snow...since where I live it doesn't snow much, it was a big deal! I got that English paper back and my teacher praised me for the detail and "wittiness" of my paper. Growing up...I continued to have a lot of success in English...almost every paper I got back gave great remarks, except for the grammar part, they would always tell me to study my grammar! Still a problem today. :) That is the very reason I didn't become an English Major...I couldn't be perfect or do spectacular at it, knowing I wasn't great at grammar, so I didn't pursue it. I downplayed the successful remarks by telling myself I couldn't ever attempt to be much in that field because I didn't have the basics down...like grammar. Don't get me wrong...I know a noun from a verb...I just have a rough time deciding where the punctuation goes sometimes! :)

So anyhow...I'm self-promoting myself. If you like at all what you read here...then you should check Modern Molly Mormon when it relaunches this week sometime (It has everything from crafts, cooking, and ideas for lessons--to Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness)...isn't that how it always is with the Internet? Never know if the site will work right...or be ready when you decide...which is why there is no specific date! :)

Also...I am going to start booking photography for families and children so if you are interested or know someone that is...and you like my stuff...I'd love it if you would give me a shout out. I don't have definite prices because I want to negotiate that...but compared to most...I'm REALLY reasonable because I'm finding it hard to charge a lot for something I find great joy in doing...it is the same with dance and choreography... :)--Someday, maybe, I charge what I'm worth :) For right now...take advantage of me...because I'm allowing it! :)



Am I the only one that has this problem? Or do you find that you do also? If you are good at this sort of thing...do you have any suggestions? Because I could really use them! :)

16 comments:

mrsb said...

On the price thing...go ahead and leave your prices low for now...but when you meet someone who's obviously loaded (or a real tool), take 'em for all they're worth, lol!

Can't wait to read your "guest appearance"! Make sure you let us know when it is up!

LIFE CHANGES said...

What is up!!! So I am feeling good after our little workout. Definetly going to have to get there earlier cause I was late to school, and luckily the teacher didn't have a quiz. Wahoo!!! Well, I totally agree with you, I never was the first one to say I could do stuff, I always wanted them to not expect it from me and then WAM-BAM I would surprise them with something awesome!!! Love ya!

Jessica Stier said...

Congrats on your new writing adventure. I'm excited to check out Modern Molly Mormon. I was just thinking the other day that since the homemaking program changed, and my ward doesn't really do many mini classes, I need to pursue learning the art of homemaking on my own. I have been "homemaking" for nearly 11 years but I still think I am totally lacking. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'm excited to check out the site and learn some new tricks.

I think that I have a problem with self promoting as well. You hit the nail on the head with the reasons.

As far as the photography we should totally trade tricks! I feel like I am still a beginner too. I guess I've been studying it for over a year now but that is still very much a beginner. I'm so excited for your jump out into the professional realm. Very exciting!!!

Way to go!
Jessica
www.momshots.com

Untypically Jia said...

I was equally thrilled you said yes chica!

And for those who are eagerly anticipating Shelle's appearance on Modern Molly Mormon . . . the relaunch will take place THIS WEDNESDAY!

Tiff said...

Woohoo, work it Girl, promote away!!! That is so cool that she asked you to write for her, she knows talent when she sees it! :o)

I wrote a history paper in college once totally thought I would get an F because I didn't have faith in myself, and don't you know I got the highest grade in the class?!
We're good aren't we? hehe

Natalie Sue said...

I love that pic of Tae, so good! And that's cool you are writing on the Modern Molly Mormon blog! Do you get to be one of the Molly's? SO cool.

Candid Carrie said...

Alright, I totally pinky promise that I was already on your blog page when the email popped up that you left a comment for me! I swear on everything that Modern Mormon's would take serious (or is it seriously).

You are a choreographer? And a photographer? Well, I knew the photography thing but the dancing thing is so cool.

You'll appreciate this, I was dancing at discos during the mid to late seventies. And my style hasn't changed one tiny bit. When we crank up some good music at home or even in the car or sometimes when we are at a wedding in public the disco style of dancing just surfaces. I can't help it.

I think it is cool that you are writing elsewhere and I think it is cool that you are multi-faceted and entrepeneureal. And even more cool is that I could actually be your mother and you mildly think I am cool.

Veggie Mom said...

Choreographer? Photographer? They rhyme! Yeah, I know a lot of folks who aren't good at the self-promotion thing, but apparently I'm not one of them! Blogging will help bring you out of your shell...

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Good for you!

I am also thrilled that the follower thingy is available to all us bloggers and not just the select few.

Shannon said...

First, I'm now "following" you... cool!

And how cool are you, getting to be a contributor or another blog! I'll be checking it out...

This Mom said...

Shelle-
I totally think if we lived closer we could be friends in real life. I am not a good self promoter. But I will say that I think you a great.

Second I really wish you lived closer so I could let your practice your photograpy I really need a new family photo and hate to pick someone out of the dark.

Can not wait to see new site and your contribution.
Shannon

Andrea said...

I was already a reader but I added myself as a follower as well. I also added the gadget to my page :)

Kritta22 said...

What are you talking about silly girl! Your blog is the first one I read every morning!! I'm here, I 'm here!
Maybe I just haven't been commenting. I hate it when people do that! OK I promise, every thing from now on I read your blog, I will comment.

Merrianne said...

Hey Shelle :) Jia emailed me, too and asked me to join the Modern Molly Mormon blog, too...looks like we will be "working" together! ♥ YAY!

Marie said...

Yes. Yes. and Yes.

I have left a lot of things in my life unfulfilled because of my lack of confidence in excelling on that path. I blame it on my parents and 5 overachieving brothers. But I guess that I have to take a lot of the blame too since I am the one who isn't living up to my potential.

Such a harsh word, potential.

Erica said...

I love your photography. I think that you do such a great job. Your pics always look so great. Also, of course I love your writing. It always makes me feel lame when I write on my blog, because mine is always lame. I swear I never know where to put commas. Oh well, if you love me you'll forgive me for my punctuation errors.

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad