Monday, June 29, 2009

Something I swore I would never do!

Something I swore I would never do, that my parents did, was tell my kids they had to eat something they didn't want to eat.

I can't tell you HOW many times I sat across from my Mom for HOURS trying to see if I could out last her "just THIS time". I was stubborn. But NOT as stubborn as her. As I was getting food I didn't want to eat put in my mouth I remember thinking, "when I have kids I won't make them eat stuff they don’t want to eat."

I was at the dinner table last night and this is how things went:

PeePs: "I don't like broccoli"--note, the girl has eaten the stuff since she could pick it up and put it in her mouth. Both Cauliflower And Broccoli. So I was all kinds of frustrated from the very beginning and OUT comes the following conversation.

Me: "Well, to bad, you are going to have to eat at least one broccoli and one cauliflower. You might like them."

PeePs: Gets the pouty quivering chin look. "But I don't WANT to eat broccoli. My stomach doesn't like it."

Me: "Okay, that's OKAY. Don't eat the Broccoli. But you also can't have any COOKIE for dessert."

PeePs: Pout lip and real tears start to form. Her hands cross in front of her chest and she looks up at me from under her eyelashes.

Me: "Go to your room and pout. It isn't going to make a difference. You don't eat those on your plate and you don't get a dessert. Whether you cry about it or not."

This went back and forth with DCAR getting in the groove to try and help his sister out of the situation by offering butter and ranch and other condiments to assist her in "choking" it down for at least a 1/2 hour.

But she wouldn't budge.

I was getting bored of it and just wanted to move along that is why I am NO good at this kinda thing!

All of us finished eating and she was still in pouting position. Real tears had begun to flow silently down her cheeks.

And I knew EXACTLY what she was thinking as she stared at me like I was the WORST person on Earth!

MoutainSport Man got up and cleared some dishes, then began to divvy out the cookies. DCAR comes walking in eating one.

She eyed it and I KNEW I had her… so I compromised, something ELSE I said I'd never do.

Me: "If you take THIS bite of Broccoli and THIS bite of Cauliflower then you can have your cookie."

PeePs: Stands her ground. Until Bampa (traitor)picks up her fork and assists in putting the offending vegetable in her mouth by using AIRPLANE sounds no less. Then she began to LAUGH hysterically.

I went and grabbed her a cookie. As I set it down next to her plate I said, "Now eat the rest of your dinner before you eat that cookie".

I'm not gonna lie, I was feeling like a bit of a failure, until I pulled THAT one on her! :)

Okay now my question is… what is the thing YOU swore you would never do, that your parents did?

I think I'll join a random Tuesday posts tomorrow and name a bunch more. I have loads!!!

Hope you all had a good weekend. And if you missed THIS post over at REAL WORLD you missed some GREAT fun in the comments!

Go over there today… KRITTA is trying to become a baby making machine, poor girl, go give her some love!

Love

19 comments:

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

I know the You Have To Eat It Because I Said So routine Or No Dessert. I've done it. I said I never would but I have. I think I've used the phrase 'Because I said so' which I hated so much as a kid a bit too much lately. The one I am proud to say I heard all the time but have never (and will never) use was "can't force you to have fun".

UGH! I hated that one and my parents always used it. Ask my sis, she'll remember that one!

Anonymous said...

My least favorite as a kid that I use is "Stop crying, or I'll give you something to cry about." I mean seriously!!! how does that help? yeah....it doesn't. Yet, I say it.

I too do the - you have to eat it routine. We have a rule: however many years old you are you have to take that many bites of offending food. (except potatoes for the oldest cuz he literally throws them up - ugggg) Since we don't do dessert around our house it is a do or die sort of situation- we hold the next snack time against them. If you don't eat (insert item here) you won't have snack and you won't eat again until supper)

xoxox JustJules

Barbaloot said...

If we didn't like what was on our plate our dad said, "You have until the big hand on the clock gets to the five to eat that and then I'm giving you more." Yeah-not something we ever wanted to test, so we ate what we were given then!

Abra said...

I think something I say is "You can _________ and be grumpy about it, or you can _____________ and be happy about it. Either way, you still have to ____________"

feel free to insert chore in blank hahahaha

I hated when my mom would say that to me.

T said...

We've done the food bribes more often than I care to admit...

My parents used to not allow us to get up from the table until we ate whichever nasty food they assigned for the day. I have a stubborn sister who slept at that table more than once rather than eat a bite of liver or spinach (I agreed, but I got tired faster!)

Mama Belle said...

Two things: Never yell at my kids, which I've broken numerous times. And, never make them finish everything on their plate (for my own pitiful, psychological reasons).

Plus, never make them feel bad about themselves. That one's a biggie.

thecheekofgod said...

I swore I'd never threaten to pull the car over and leave my kids at the side of the road if they didn't settle down.

So far, so good . . .

Cherie said...

This was funny! I think it finally comes down to the power struggle - it all starts with broccoli but ends with boys and curfews when they are teenagers. You gotta put the foot down NOW!

I always said that I would NEVER in a million years tell any of my kids to "turn that music down!". I did it with my oldest and knew my mother had won!! ha ha

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Hahahahaha! You guys are hilarious!

BMA-- I say Because I said so all.the.time! But I've never used can't force you to have fun. Might need to use that one! :)

Anon-- HA! My husband has used that. I thought the same as you? What purpose does that serve?

Barb--your Dad is a genius!!! But I'm not sure it would work other than piling more food on my daughters plate and then have a stare a thon... hmmmm maybe? I'll have to give that one some thought!

Abra-nice... and true... and I use that all.the.time also! :)

T-My mom made sure I didn't sleep. IT was horrible! lol!

Mama Belle--OH I LOVE your profile pic!!! So cute! Yes, never making them feel bad about themselves is important... although I do have to say I'm probably going to muff that one up, but NOT on purpose!!!

TheCheekOfGod--hahahahaha! I'm good on that one also... phew!

Cherie-- Got it... put foot down now... and take all stereo's out of house so they don't have the option to turn the music down!!! Actually I already say that with the TV.

IT's sad. THis parenting thing is TOUGH!!! ;)

Keep them coming guys!

Homer and Queen said...

My parents did the same thing...if you complained, you got another spoon full!

I swore I would NEVER hide food, oh you bet I hide it!

Youngblood4ever said...

What are the things I swore I would never do? Really there are too many to even think about. The worst was- "Don't hit your sister" (said as I smack his/her hand or spank the butt.

Also- I swore I would NEVER pull my kids' hair. Ya, I broke that one last week. I swear one day I really am going to have DCFS show up to take my kids. Of course, you have to hear the whole story to understand I wasn't doing it just to torture UMM or get my kicks...Maybe I'll tell the full story on Friday.

brooken'dus said...

I am just too lazy to ever enforce anything i say! So I try not to ever say anything that is going to really make me work! haha i'm lazy what can i say?!?!

Anjeny said...

Good stuff Shelle.

Two things I absolutely swore I would never ever do that I do now...

1. Compare my kids (Why can't you be more like your sister or brother?)

2. Talk about the bad/annoying things my kids do to my friends in front of them..(Yep, I do that all the time...I hated it when my mom used to do that, yet I'm doing that now).

I've done a lot of what the other ladies have done..."keep crying and I'll give you something to cry about"..this one I can only justify that I have to say this to one of my kids because he cries for no reason..he misbehaves, I scold him, he cries, he hits his brother, I scold him or even give him a mean look, he cries and other little things so it gets frustrating because I can never understand him when he does that.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

ha ha ha ha! I can totally see Peeps pouting. That's how well I know her. My sis has a little girl that looks exactly like her too.

That was too cute. I love how you invite us right in to your house and pull up a chair. I just wish I could taste those cookies.

Homer and Queen said...

I was a Jr. in high school and I hated mushy oatmeal. (Now I can eat the steel cut stuff), my mom made me sit at the table all day! I missed school, and it was 4:00pm before she finally got so mad that I wouldn't give in! She sent me to my room.

IWA (e - va) said...

I threaten a lot too.... especially with depriving dessert... I love this post!

My mom always started her sentences off with, "my number 1 pet peeve is______ (of course it was what ever you happen to been doing in that moment). I swore to never say the word pet peeve!

mother goose said...

I swore I would never beat my kids and I haven't. They have been spanked but it was a controlled, I knew what I was doing spanking. A smack to the butt, just to wake them up and you know what? It did.

spankings ended when they were like 6 or 7.

Denise said...

Oh holy goodness, I'm the spitting image of my mother right down to the core and I swore on everything sacred I wouldn't be.

I say "I'm so mad I could spit nails!"

I walk around in my version of her African print moo-moo all day long while tending to babies (my moo-moo is a fancy purple "housecoat" that has a zipper and two pockets TYVM)

I say "Want me to get the spoon?" when I'm trying to scare them into doing their chores (wooden spoons hurt!)

I refuse to help them with something until I've seen that they've given an attempt... I hated it when she did that to me. Why couldn't she just zip my pants for me all my life? It would have saved a lot of time.

I listen to old country music and sing along in front of their friends.

And last but not least, when I'm all comfy cozy in my bed, watching the tube and doing my old lady crosswords, I'll holler to the next room for one of the kids to c'mere, and then ask them to get me some iced tea. Hahahaha!

April said...

I do the "Because I said So" routine all the time too, and I swore I never would.

One thing my son will probably say that I do to him and he'll never do when he has children is say "maybe" or "we'll see" when the answer is almost always no. He's started picking up on that. Do you ever say maybe or we'll see when you know the answer is no just so you don't have to get into why you're saying no? That's a horrible thing for me to do, isn't it?

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad