Thursday, November 20, 2008

Airplane Seat Belt Etiquette


Since yesterday I have been to 4 different cities and four different flights. I've finally come full circle and ended back pretty close to home. I crashed at midnight and slept until 10:00 am because I'm kid-less and am now checking my email and blogging until I have to run errands!

All I can think about though is this:

I LOVE getting into an airplane seat and buckling up the seat belt to realize that someone sitting in that seat BEFORE me was BIGGER than I was!

It's the same feeling as when you lose 5 lbs...or find money in your pocket! It's exhilarating!

Am I the only one that thinks this way?

So yesterday was a good day. I found a NEW friend...LOVE YOU BSTOD!!!... and each flight I was smaller then the person before me! One seat belt was so big it took twice as long to cinch it to my size! Guys...really...if you want an ego booster...TAKE A FLIGHT and hopefully your seat belt was as BIG as that one was!!!

Now there has been a few times where I get in the seat, and go to buckle my seat belt, and I have to pull the metal thing to make it BIGGER for me...so the person before me was *shush* smaller than me... *GASP*...I know totally rude right? Don't they know plane etiquette? You always...ALWAYS...pull the metal thing out after your flight so that the next person that sits in that seat feels GOOD about themselves...

Doesn't everyone know that?

Well apparently not EVERYONE!

Those times that I have sat down and actually had to adjust the seat belt to make it BIGGER for me...I just think...

"Oh a small child must have used that seat before me...they still don't know all the plane-seat-belt-etiquette rules (shame on their MOM's!)"

So tell the truth...How many of you have been class-less and pulled the seat belt smaller so the person who sits in your seat next gets depressed and ends up spending the rest of the flight purging in the airplane toilet?

Come on? Admit it...

And when you do...will you leave your name, email, and address so that I can send you hate mail and send a bottle of spit to you via snail mail? It would really help in getting the message out!

Thanks,

Shelle

26 comments:

Marla said...

in all my flying this has never crossed my mind but it will now... thanks for the laugh and new perspective on flying :)

Annie said...

Too funny! I always take note of moving it or not, but I never really gave it THAT much thought! I fly to Vegas in a couple weeks. I hope someone coming off a Thanksgiving Day Feast is in the seat before me! :)

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I never even thought of that. You're so funny!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I never even thought of that. You're so funny!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Apparently, I thought you were so funny, I commented twice!

Kristina P. said...

I second Alyson's comment. I have never even considered this!

Kritta22 said...

I totally do this too!! And I totally agree with the kid sitting there before you...I mean it HAD to be a kid!! Or I'll try really, really hard to fit into it so I don't have to adjust it. Then I can be like "I bet she wears a size 4. I just fit until a size 4 seat belt!"

Yup I went there.

Kritta22 said...

I finished the GIVEAWAY quilt.

Is it confession day? Well I'm kinda grateful that Nan can't win this month because she is a superstar! Have you seen the stuff on her site?! I'm just saying.

Momma Trish said...

You know, I'm a plus-sized woman. And I'm totally doing this next time I'm on a plane! I'm going to loosen up the seatbelt enough to fit around me. And then, before I leave the plane, I'm going to pull it tight and make that belt really, really tiny for the next person. Why should I be the only one to focus on a weight problem? Misery loves company. Best. Prank. Ever. (Next to setting all the alarm clocks in your hotel room to go off really loud at like 3:00 a.m. 'Cause when I'm staying at a hotel and someone's done it, I always find it really funny. Yeah ...)

Heh!

PJ - Our life said...

I haven't really focused on that before. And I definately didn't know the rule of making the seat belt bigger when you exit the plane! Now I know! Thanks for teaching me something new today!!

Sher said...

Ok don't hate me. I've never even thought about that before. Of course I don't travel that much, so I don't fly very often, but surely, I'll be thinking about it next time I fly!

Mother Goose said...

you are funny! i deal with plane seatbelts,way too much!

Pat said...

I totally know what you mean. Good for you, what a great day for all the seat belts to be to big.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I had never thought of that either, but what a CUTE and CLEVER way to boost your self-esteem!!!!!

Natalie Sue said...

Oh, that is SO true! I have always felt that. I definately notice that kind of thing whenever I put on a seatbelt and have been so happy when it is bigger! But that is the best idea I have ever heard. I will lengthen it for the next person to make THEM feel good too! lol

brooken'dus said...

Why are you flying around anyway!?! Where in the heck did you go?!? GEESH!! You and your flight benefits can just.... I don't know but if I flew that much I would probably notice that to!

Barbaloot said...

Wow-I did not know you were supposed to make it bigger! I promise to do so from now on...unless I'm angry and feel like being vindictive and spiteful to no one in particular. You should try THAT sometime...it's exhilerating!

John Deere Mom said...

Flight? Airplane? Freedom? Vacation? What is this you speak of...

Scary Mommy said...

I'm cracking up-- I'm the same way with the seat belts!

Blogging Mama said...

That was funny. I know the rules, I always make it bigger :)

binks said...

Oh my BBFF, thank you so much for providing this much needed etiquitte lesson.
As you well know, I have no need to enlarge the
$!@#$! belt when I leave the plane. It is already straining at its fullest setting. It would be so much easier if everyone just left it on my size. Thanks! ;)

Jen said...

Definitely making a mental flight-etiquite note.

I will never commit this sin again. (Does that absolve me from the spit? Please?)

Shannon said...

I cannot remember if I properly performed seat betl etiquette... since its been almost 9 years since I have been on a plane!!!

Susan said...

This post KILLED me! I'm sure you can still hear me laughing! I HATE when I have to make the belt bigger - that "BITCH" I think to myself...how dare she!!! However, I have NEVER loosened the belt on departure in kind spirit for the next passenger. I will do this next time to make someone else's day...Promise.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

funny - the buckles are always to big for me too!!!!!!

Youngblood4ever said...

Subconsciously I think I knew this because I totally get excited too! Some people's children never learn etiquette. I am glad you are here, spreading the word!

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad