Sunday, March 29, 2009

Especially while you struggle to keep your own...

I know most of you don't wander over here on Sundays. Which is why I like to post something a little more serious and personal. That sounds a little mean...but all I'm saying is that I don't expect much on the weekends...I don't really expect to hear back from ya'll or take time out of your day to rush over to my blog to read what I have done for the day...

Of course I expect that throughout the week though...*this is dripping with sarcasm if you didn't know that*

Since I'm somewhat awkward being serious, I would just rather laugh or find humor in any situation.

But since I'm human, I do have a serious side...

I LOVE quotes. If I could COLLAGE them all over the walls in my house I would.

Since I don't have a home, that is impossible right now.

I love books of quotes, I search the internet for quotes, and I love a quote that puts my feelings into words.

My MIL gave me a Mother's Day gift...I've already opened it even though I KNOW it's not even CLOSE to mother's day.

It's a BOOK full of Mother's quotes.

And I think I found a new life quote for parenting. Because in a few words these two women said exactly how I feel about it...so I thought I would share.

"Motherhood (I think we could change that to PARENTHOOD) brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrw too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own."--Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons

I adore that last part. I find myself all the time LOSING who I am because I am engrossed in my children. Definitely not a BAD thing, but it is funny how you struggle to remember that before kids you HAD a life and that you are your OWN person without your kids defining you. It's hard though because the line is so thin. Because if you think about it, once you have kids, they definitely DO define a little of who you are...and they teach us a lot of qualities that we would otherwise pass up if we didn't have them.

You definitely can't be selfish and ONLY think about yourself if you have kids...okay you can, but I'm not talking about exceptions here. You learn to be patient, you learn to negotiate, you learn you heart has a MAJOR capacity for love...and anger...and heartache.

Well that's it.

Love,

Shelle

10 comments:

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

Excellent thoughts Shelle. You should let the serious side come out to play more often ;)

Susan said...

Oh, I'm visiting on Sunday and hell, I couldn't agree more. Great quote. I'm off to nap now.

Youngblood4ever said...

That was a little more profound than I am used to getting from you. LOVED IT! I collected quotes when I was younger and even started every journal entry with a quote that I found that I totally loved. Good to go back and remember them all. (although, I could do without reading the actually journal entries. I was quite an awkward kid/teenager/young adult. Heck, I'm still awkward!)

Heidi Ashworth said...

I agree, it is such a fine line, esp. since being a mother is what makes us, pontentially, the best we can be--who we actually are. We have to know what to allow to change and what to hang onto. It's hard to know the difference sometimes.

Kate said...

I struggle with that a lot - the 'losing myself' in my children (or child, right now). I didn't take the nine months I was pregnant to actually mentally prepare for the massive life change, and ended up working up until the week before she was born. It was super hard to give up my career/work life for family, but found that it was so worth every second of it. I still have to take time for myself sometimes - to remember who I am, and also remember that it is my family who makes me who I am and will be.

Thanks for your thoughts. I too, am a quote buff. :)

Brenda said...

I loved this! Sometimes, I think that's all I am is a mother! You really can get lost in this job! Thanks for your insights and the quote! I really enjoyed them!

Annie Valentine said...

Love this. Taking the time to say it out loud brings us back to who we are.

It's okay to be frustrated, bored, irritable and angry, as long as it's sugar coated with hugs, kisses, kindness and empathy. You're a good mom, Shell.

shannon said...

I love collectiing quotes as well--
This one is dynomite!!

I constantly struggle with trying to be my own person in an "it's all about me" world (kids)--, There have been many times that I've actually resented my children for things (ie: not being able to lose the weight I want because they are constantly eating and I have no will power when it comes to food!--not being able to be as spontaneous as I used to be--not being able to spend quiet time reflecting, etc.)

Motherhood has definitely been the best thing that has ever happened to me but the most challenging by far...NO ONE can prepare you for this ride!

I am totally going to copy this quote and post it where I can see it!

Thanks!--I love your serious side as well as the funny!--

Thanks for sharing this!

Dopp Family said...

Thanks for sharing your serious side Shelle and that awesome quote! I'm fairly new at this motherhood thing, but it's all so true! Love ya!

binks said...

that is so very true. I am now at the point of trying to did-entangle myself and let the kid make his own life & mistakes. Very hard to watch your child make your mistakes all over again.

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad