Monday, August 24, 2009

We took her training wheels off!

My little Princess who doesn't, usually, have a brave bone in her body... was TOLD by MountainSport Man that it was TIME she took her training wheels off.

He's pretty adamant about our kids learning to ride their bikes on their own without the training wheels so they can move on to bigger and better things, like mountains... who am I to argue? As long as she gets to dance and I can live vicariously through her, who am I to tell HIM what he can do to live vicariously through his children? (or we are desperate for friends to hang out with us!)

I pretty much was terrified. You see, with DCar... I was like, he's a boy it's okay if he falls a few times, he needs to man up and take those training wheels off-- (I think he was 2 1/2 maybe 3?) With PeePs... I was like, "are you sure? She seems still so small... I don't want her to fall and get hurt"... WHY IS THAT do you think?

Anyway... she totally did it her first try! I have evidence.
I had a reason I brought the camera... so I wouldn't have to HUFF it after her! That's what Dad's are for anyway right?

Both of my kids stick their tongues out when they are concentrating! Weird...

Peeps didn't have stopping down yet... so DCar helped her stop by being a road block (Or I yelled at him, "Don't let her hit me!")...awww what a good kid..

She was fully stopped and then just kind of fell over... she's was laughing so we were good...

But then it was just easy peasy for her!


I shouted to him, "How are you going to catch her if she falls?" MSM said, "I'm not..." uuuhhh okay, I'll just keep shooting I guess...

I love how DCar always pretends he's interested in what she has to say. She was telling us all how she did it by herself... like we weren't there and hadn't seen it...

Okay... this pic is solely for me...

It was hot... and she was thirsty after showing us she was a pro at riding her bike... I'm not gonna lie, I was completely proud of her!

Okay all family out there that keeps harping on me to put up more pics of the kids! There ya go! And I'm going to go one step above that... here's a video of it all!!!



So how early do you guys start your kids riding their bikes???

Love,

25 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

Even though you have a copyright notice I'm thinking about stealing these pictures and just cutting off the copyright notice.

Camilla Pereira said...

Shelle, she is so sweet and cute. Congratulations, you have a pretty girl.

Love,
Camilla - Brazil

Missty said...

Cute, cute, cute!! Love those moments. Our boys were around 4 or so. Except Tyler (3rd son) Who had to keep up with older brothers so he was fully riding his 2 wheeler at 3! UGH!

Youngest son same age, but then the entire family, me included had moved on to dirt bikes, so youngest was on a dirt bike at 5 yrs old.

Youngblood4ever said...

Lots of family fun! That is great. I refused to go when Hubby taught my older 2 to ride w/o training wheels. I couldn't handle seeing them fall. I'm totally a wuss when it comes to stuff like that.

Cherie said...

Oh what a cutie! I love her big smile with the tongue of concentration hanging out!
She did good - Dang!! She may be on a mountain bike sooner than you know!
My kids learned at all different ages, mostly when they asked and hubby did all the huffing and puffing - that's what dad's do!!

SciFi Dad said...

My daughter got her first "big girl" bike at four, and it still has training wheels on it as of this week with no plans to remove them anytime soon. At this point she needs to learn to remember she's ON the bike, let alone balancing.

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Awesome...way to go!

The Blonde Duck said...

How precious!

Barbaloot said...

Good for her! Love the documentation pics. And also, is that the infamous swimsuit?

Brenda said...

We don't really believe in teaching our kids how to ride a two-wheeler. They eventually figure it out on their own. Jay was almost 9, Brae was around 7 (I think) and Mase is going on 7 with no plans of figuring it out. I don't know, I guess I just don't like the thought of all the ER visits.

Kristina P. said...

I don't remember how old I was when I learned to ride a bike. I did get in a pretty nasty fall when I was a kid and scraped up my entire leg.

Hubman said...

Good for her! My chicken**** boy wasn't ready to have the training wheels off until he was 8!!

Stephanie Faris said...

Adorable! It's amazing to me that we survived childhood. We learned to ride bikes without helmets. How did we make it!

Chief said...

My boys were 4....well the oldest was five and the youngest was 4. It is so scary, I just let my husband handle it. I am too paranoid I suppose

thecheekofgod said...

The sticking the tongue out thing? I do that. Always have. Still do.

So there's that . . .

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Dr. Zibbs--Need to get new material... you said that last time I posted pics with the copyright signal on it! :)... plus YOU WOULD do that!

Camilla--Welcome from BRAZIL! I feel so special that you came by... seriously, come by again k? Especially if you are going to tell me how cute my kids are... that's always a plus!

Missty--We want Dirt Bikes and are saving up! Your family is WAY cooler than mine right now...

YoungBlood--I wish I had a choice in the matter... MSM told me I had to go, plus, I'm OCD at documenting their lives... it's what I do! :)

Cherie--I'm glad you could validate that huffing it is what Dad's do... and I have no doubt he will have her up on the mountain with him sooner than I want...

SciFi Dad--I hear ya... if my hubs wasn't such a bike enthusiast, I promise, I'd be the same as you... I say keep the training wheels on until they FALL off from to much wear and tear!

HAIR BOWS AND BLONDE DUCK---Thanks, but I'm biased! :)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Barb-- YES that is the swimming suit... wait, she has shown you guys two, so there is the ratty yellow and flowery one that Grandma picked up at the D.I. and there is this one that I bought to small for her... but she adores it anyway!

Brenda--I KNOW what you mean... if it were my choice and just me raising them, I'd be the same way!

Kristina-- I fell SOOOO many times on my bike. I'm a born natural clutz... it was inevitable!

Hubman-- I think that is when my brothers and I learned how to ride also. LOL.

Stephanie--I have NO idea... I have to wear one now when I ride and I use to feel So silly because I never wore them growing up! But safety first! Dora says so...

Chief--Paranoid is my freaking middle name!

CheekofGod--HA! It's got to be a recessive gene or something, cause neither me or my husband do that!

Amanda said...

Hey! We have that bike. Two, actually.

She's adorable. Great pictures.

Trooper Thorn said...

How did you get Brett Favre to come and help her learn to ride a bike?

Homer and Queen said...

McFly is almost 12 and still can't ride a bike! You and your perfect children!!!

Kate said...

If you count a big wheel as a bike... about 18 months. (she's 2 1/2 now) My child takes after me and is not super coordinated. unfortunately.

also, I MADE COMMENT OF THE DAY!!!!!! awesome!
I knew my neutical knowledge would come in handy some day. :)

Missty said...

LOL. Funny Brenda said about the ER visits. With 4 boys we have been to the ER MANY times... The trip for the bike was when one was 15, not young. MOst visits were... triping over air, falling off the dining room table, back flips off the fence, skateboards, trampoline. lol ER visits are going to happen. You can't bubble wrap them.

ZenMom said...

Awesome! Look at her go!!!

My four-year-old still has his training wheels and his Nervous Nellie Mom is just fine with keeping them for a while longer. ;)

April said...

I'm sure my boys were 2 or 3 when they first rode a bike on their own! hahahaha! I can't remember that far back! They are so old now! My baby just started his first day of college!

I did giggle when I saw Peeps in her bathing suit!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh my goodness! Look how cute!

Oh I have missed you.

Hooray for NO MORE TRAINING WHEELS! And adorable photographs of NO MORE TRAINING WHEELS.

I'm just dropping by to bring our some salt and honey and to give you a spiritual thought.

There is beauty all around, when there's lub at home.

Thanks for thinking of calling me. And for accepting my apology for not calling you back.

Ba dum bum!

LY

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad