Monday, August 10, 2009

If I only had a monkey...

When I was a young girl I had a friend that could climb trees like he was a monkey. He would wrap his arms and legs around the trunk and then grab and pull all the way up to the highest branch of our backyard trees.

Scared the crap out of me every time... but I envied him.

I wanted to be able to climb trees--I tried mind you, I tried, but all I could do is wrap my arms and legs around the base of the tree!!!

My Mom didn't like me to, she was scared I would get hurt or something... so my dream of tree climbing was crushed for the 1.2 seconds I dreamt it...

Then I was sent this video, go in about 5 minutes:


Which explains that I am right to blame my parents for not being a climber. If they would have done their duty and moved to Africa where I could have met a monkey that was my best friend and I followed around everywhere at the age of four, having no fear, and climbing where the monkey climbed, then my fingers would have developed into climbers fingers and I would now be a living spider woman, PLUS be in incredible body shape with 16% body fat.

I've never even been wall climbing... unless you count the one at the playground that is only a foot taller than me... I seriously smoke all the kids when we race on that one, and I free climb, meaning NO ropes for all you amateur play ground climbers.

So now that I am a parent... I feel it is my duty to live vicariously through my children... so I'm off to Africa to find a monkey...

Okay I kid... I kid...

But seriously, anybody have a monkey they can borrow me for like 5 years??? My daughter just turned four and I want her to have what I never did...

Love,



Seriously though... isn't that amazing!!! Had to share cause that's what I do. :)

23 comments:

coolred38 said...

I always wanted a chimpanzee when I was young...which means I would have learned how to catch and dismember your monkey with my bare hands...Id be way cool.

mother goose said...

amazing

Barbaloot said...

I'm terrified of climbing. I can fake handle it indoors---but I never want to do the outside thing.

A pet monkey would be lots of fun though...except he might stink.

Sher said...

My kids are all monkeys. that's also their nickname...The Monkeys.

They aren't afraid of anything (except maybe rollercoasters). I don't know where they came from, because I'm terrified of heights.

Stephanie Faris said...

I thought I'd repelled down a mountain but somebody told me I just went down on a rope. I was 10.

Homer and Queen said...

We had a monkey...we got it for Wheelchair Boy and was having it trained as a helper monkey. We had it 3 yrs...it was satan with a tail, I still have nightmares...

Chief said...

You could borrow my youngest boy. He is as close to a monkey as I can get and he's potty trained!

April said...

Don't monkeys fling their poo? Really? You wan't poo stained walls? And your daughter climbing all over those poo stained walls? Maybe you can send her climbing with some clorox wipes to clean up after Mr. Monkey.

Dr Zibbs said...

She's great.

Becky said...

I would let you borrow my monkey and live vicariously through your four-year-old and live happily ever after.

If I had one.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

April, eeew gross.

Whenever I hear of monkeys it makes me think of David Letterman many years ago he would have the people voted off Survivor on his show. Each week his assistant would be able to ask them a question, and everytime without fail she would ask "Did you get to touch any monkeys?"

I don't really know why but it would strike me as being so funny every time.

Amanda said...

I have 5 monkeys and I still can't climb like that.

ZenMom said...

You can borrow my two-year-old! We've decided he's 1/2 monkey and 1/2 mountain goat - there's nothing this kid can't climb!

T said...

I actually love climbing - except those get-ups really emphasize the WRONG parts of my bum...

we call my 5 year old "monkey" all the time - for good reason - she'd SMOKE you up the playground :)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Coolred--okay that's scary...I don't want to get on your bad side...

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Barb--Yea Monkeys might stink, but she would be SPIDER WOMAN>>> it's worth the sacrafice!

I would love to do it actually just haven't really had the chance to!

Sher-Can your kids climb up walls with just their fingertips!

Stephanie... sounds like repelling to me!!!

Queen--okay so if you still had that monkey I wouldn't want it... but seriously that is cool that you almost had a Monkey Helper pet!

Chief--will think about it since he is potty trained and probably hairless which will help with the shedding problem others have... hmmm...

April--way to put a downer on my life long dream... Dream Killer!!!

Becky--ooohhh, *wipes tear* the thought counts...

NHC--Oh I remember that! lol! I used to watch Letterman religiously!

Amanda--you aren't around the right monkeys apparently!!!

ZenMom--Well if Chiefs kid doesn't work I'll ask you about it...

T--Is that a challenge???

Zu said...

OMG that is so cool! I always wanted a monkey.

The Wixom Zoo said...

Anyone could clime a tree like a monkey if there was a lion snapping at their pinkie toes. Motivation, friend. That's all you need.

The Wixom Zoo said...

Okay...climB a tree, not climE a tree. Duh.

Malea said...

"If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you a monkey
(Haven't you always wanted a monkey)?"

April said...

Shelle....you are welcome....and LOL to Malea (I've always wanted a green dress...but not a real green dress, that's cruel.)

Southern Sage said...

I need a monkey that wil mow the grass and such, while you are climb training your spud can you train the monkey to do chores then send him to me when you are done?

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Zu--ME TOO!!!

Wixom--LOL! ha! I so HOPE I could climb a tree with that motivation...

Malea-- you lost me after if I had a million dollars... cause really, if I HAD a million dollars, ya know?

April--I'm sure I will say thank you sometime, when I'm done sulking!

Sage--Fine fine, but if it's Chiefs or ZenMom's kid then you will have to get their permission also! :)

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad