Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Serious Wednesday: Laughter and Cherished time

Since I first became pregnant with DCar I have had one person after another telling me, "cherish them now, they grow up faster than you think".


Life has tossed us some crazy things. We decided to better our lot in life by going back to school which brought me to working full time for benefits and other things while MSM went to school. For us, it was the best decision.

I went back to work when my little girl Peeps was just 12 months. I've been lucky that I have had my parents and other family there to help watch her for me while I have been working. I try to work REALLY early in the mornings or REALLY late at night so that I don't miss out on too much with her or my son, but I come home tired, burning the candle at both ends.

I'm exhausted. Even though I have everyday with them, I miss them. Weekends zoom by, our time as a family is short, especialy with my best friend off at work or at school or studying for school.

The other day I took stock of my two kids wrestling and playing around with each other, realizing that just an hour before my little four year old had made her self a PB&J sandwich. A SANDWICH while I was editing in my "dungeon".

When my little girl got tired of being tossed around by her older brother she came over to me and wiggled herself into my lap, like she knew I was feeling melancholy and needed her attention. I curled my arms and body around her and we just lay there cuddling. Did you know that there was a smell to innocence? Well there is, take my word for it, because my daughter was wrapped up in it and I just soaked it in and smiled. Even though I cherish every moment I have with my children, they still grow up to fast… they deserve to, they need to… it's not easy for me, but I wouldn't have it any other way it's kinda what we sign up for as parents.

They are happy, they are living life, they are good kids. I'm lucky and blessed that they are the ones that came to me… their souls are sweet and genuine and I don't deserve to be given so much but I'm not going to argue either.

This is my life, this is there life, they are just on loan to me for a while and so we deal with life the best way we can … through laughter and cherished time.



Sorry, was just remembering that I was a mom... :)

Have a good day guys…

Love,

17 comments:

Cherie said...

Hey you do what you have to do and never let any "Yahoo" tell you that you did it wrong. There is no wrong way!!
It goes by fast no matter what. I can tell you cherish those sweet ones!!

Barbaloot said...

From the things my mom says still today...it never gets easier watching them grow up. Have fun! :)

Youngblood4ever said...

WOW! Girl, I think that was some seriously deep stuff. Loved it. I think it is good to be reminded that we signed up for this. I love the hugs, kisses, "Mom, I love you's" and every good thing. Some days I wonder why I signed up for this. And other days (especially when they are sleeping and looking innocent) that I wonder how I got so lucky.

Chief said...

nice to stop and remember that sometimes. I think I have so many titles that I forget the most important one.

SciFi Dad said...

Great post.

I know exactly what you mean. I struggle with the time I spend with my children too, and try to keep my work hours under control. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

Like yesterday when I had a 1pm meeting near my house. I ducked out of the office early, went home and had lunch with the kids and my wife (when I walked in the door my 10 month old son kept says "Dah! Dah!" as he army-crawled to me) beforehand. It was so worth it.

The Wixom Zoo said...

Thanks for the reminder. I'm so anxious for school to finally start that I'm forgetting how wonderful my kids really are. :)

This Mom said...

I need to stop and smell the kiddos more often. But you know those boys sometime the STINK. Quess I better catch them after a shower.

Homer and Queen said...

Oh don't even get me started girl!!!

April said...

True story. They grow up too fast. sniff...sniff.

Missty said...

Oh so true, they do grow up way to fast! I am so feeling it lately and am so sad. My oldest who just moved across the country turns 25 on Sunday. And my baby starts his Senior year at the high school next week.... boo hoo.

Enjoy them.

Malea said...

Fantastic post. I believe this is my favorite. Nope. Know. I know this is my favorite.

Debbie said...

I bet your a great mom! What a sweet post.

Just Jules said...

I am almost home. I am almost home. I am almost home......... keep repeating. rinse and repeat...........

Melanie J said...

I love that line about the smell of innocence.

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Oh, I love this one! :) I always remember that - they are only on loan to me.

shannon said...

Wow! How did you do that?--You summed up my feelings so completely! You have such a gift for words...I love love love this post...in fact, I think I'll copy it off and insert my kids names and put it in their scrapbooks...(am I lame, or what?) You are such a wonderful mother, Shelle!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I loved this post also. Sorry I have MIA so much. I have missed you. I don't know how you do it all, working and momming and blogging, it is a bit overwhelming to say the least.

Keep up the good work. LY

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad