Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tonsils and Adenoids and some Freaking Out!

Okay...I'm FREAKIN' out here.

I've realized I'm not really that strong of a person when it comes to putting my son down for a surgery.

He's getting his Tonsils out and his Adenoids. They are enlarged, apparently, and it will help is Breathing, sleeping, and all around health. I went to have DCar checked because when he was sleeping at night, if he could sleep, he would snore and his breath would catch and it would be like he was choking for about 5 seconds...

It scared me...

So I asked his Pediatrician...who I think is the greatest around...and he had x-rays done on the kid.

And here we are.

Coming from a family who believed in NOT even getting immunizations, we believed in the Natural system of things...(I think partially that was because we were stinkin' poor...but I could be totally reading into that!)

Ummmmm...I'm freakin out!

I understand it is a basic procedure...in and out, I think it's only an hour and a half total time of being at the hospital. Won't even put a Chink in my normal schedule...

But they still have to put him under...and he still is going into surgery...and I'm a little hypochondriac/paranoid and so we are back to...

Freakin' Out!

So this is the face I will see after the surgery:

Or maybe this one...

Or it could be just me since I heard my son say when he didn't think any one was listening, "this is going to be the BEST day of my life tomorrow! I get to eat all the ice cream I want and I won't even get in trouble!"

At least he's positive about it!



P.S. Have any of you had kids go through this? Or have you yourself gone through a similar procedure? What recovery time should I expect? What is the best to feed him while his poor little throat recovers? Any help or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks. I'm going to go suck on my thumb and lay in a fetal position now!


Aubrey said...

I'm sure everything will be just fine! Deep breaths!!
My niece went through this over the summer. She is 7 and went through it like a champ. She was ready to go to school the next day!

binks said...

Poor DCar - Poor Shelle.
Glad he's looking at the bright side.

Can't help out here -
I only had my appendix out.

Putting some prayers in for you guys.

Kritta22 said...

Okay...here is the nurse side of Kritta coming out. Your kid will be fine. The chances of him not waking up are so rare that he could probably get hit by lightning before this happens. The procedure is simple. They can't hit anything important. Recovery time is different for each munchkin. I would expect him to wake up grumpy tomorrow. Most people wake up and are in a bad mood. He is going to want to be taking care of but still have his space. They probably won't let you leave the hospital until he pees. Bring his favorite drink. MAKE him DRINK...LOTS!
This will help EVERYTHING. This will get you out of the hospital faster and home to the beloved couch and tv. This will help his throat heal faster...just as long as it doesn't have bubbles. Bubbles are bad for the first day. If he is dying to have bubbles, water it down with juice. Drinking will help get all the meds out of his system. It will help him feel better with less drugs floating around. It will make your nurse happy. Some nurses go by the 'water only' rule. Follow the rules while she is in the room...but if he can chug a apple juice can before she gets back, a jello when he gets home adn gold star!!
Pudding, jello, mashed potatoes, soft French fries..say Wendy's with a Frosty, and pretty much anything he thinks he wants to eat. I would say stick to the soft food tomorrow. Maybe spagetti for dinner or something like that.
The nurse should give you a list was what he can and can't have. If you have ANY questions, call the doctor, or hospital nurse's station. Or me....I'll email you my number.
Does he know what's going to happen? He is old enough to where I think you should explain that they are going to take a part out and stuff like that. Make sure to tell him that when he gets out of surgery, that you WILL be there. No if's and's or but's. This is the kid's biggest worry. Heck, mine too!
The nurse/doctor will come get you as he is coming out of recovery. He will still be halfway sleeping and awake. He will remember what you say and what it looks like in the room but probably won't be able to talk or let you know, he knows. They will probably want him up and moving around a lot sooner than you think he should. It's fine. This is their job. They know that he will be fine.
Connor had to be put under when he was 6 months for his boy part to be cut. The nurses were wonderful. And I'm sure that if you have the best doctor around, his nurses are great too.
Please don't hesitate to call...at all! Alaska time zone is two hours ahead of you. Really, it will be fine. Your baby will be better for it. You will worry less about his sleeping. Think of all the worry that you have for the next 48 hours, a down payment on all the worrying you COULD have been doing. It will be worth it.
Maybe Dad/MountainSport could do a round of blessings before work. I think Mom's need one more than the patient sometimes. I know I did. Use our wonderful resource we have.
Anyways...now that I left you a novel in your comment box...I'm going to email you. I heart you bunches.
Tell DCar we heart him here in Alaska. We'll send him some snow thoughts so he could have a snow slushy!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, and TRY not to worry too much. I know it's hard for us moms, but just tell yourself that everything will be fine... and stock up on his favorite ice-cream (and yours, too ;-) )

I still have my tonsils, but I did have my adenoids out when I was little. Not sure how old I was, maybe 5 or 6?? I don't really remember much about it at all, except that I was just fine afterwards and that I had soup for lunch/dinner.

mrsb said...

Joe's been through 3 sets of tubes and this surgery.

Nothing I'll say will keep you from freaking out when they wheel your son away from you. That's a fact.

However, he really will be fine, and he'll come out like a champ. Joe complained that his "tongue hurt" (he was in kindergarten at the time and wasn't sure where the pain was, lol).

He'll be up and running around in no time.

binks said...

BTW - you have an award to pick up. Just because I think you are brilliant.

binks said...

Wow Kritta.
I hate doctors, can I call you when I am ailing?

georgie said...

when middle bean was much younger he had tubes put in and his adenoids removed...I will be keepin you in my thoughts and prayers but he will do fine...even with that said I am such a 'freaker' I feel your pain/worry oh and btw he is such a cutie pie!

Barbaloot said...

I don't have any advice---but I hope everything goes okay and that you feel alright about it. And I hope you indulge in eating nothing but ice cream with your son cuz it sounds like you deserve it.

Dopp Family said...

Hey Shelle! I know everything will be fine. I wish I had some advice, but I really don't. It sounds like life will be a lot better after the surgery though, so maybe think long term and don't even think about the surgery (... is that possible?).

Annette Lyon said...

My nephew and two of my friends' kids went through this. For all of them, recovery was close to two weeks. For one, the worst part was that the little girl refused to take her pain meds. If you can get him to take his, he'll probably be okay. And I hear that cold stuff is good, like popcicles.

Good luck! It's part of the mommy job to be a wreck in cases like this.

Marinka said...

I had my tonsils out, but without anesthesia, I think.

This is harder for you than it is for him. He's adorable! Happy ice cream!

The Wixom Zoo said...

It'll be okay. My little boy had to have something removed from INSIDE his neck a couple of years ago and I was freakin' out too. Plus the surgery took a little longer than they told me it would! No worries, though, he was fine. Kritta22 had great advice - everything went exactly like she said it would. Good luck!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

La Petite Belle had hers out and she's much better for it. I freaked out a little too. It's the natural mommy thing to do. Don't worry. It will be fine.

Kristina P. said...

I'm the person who hasn't scheduled her wisdom teeth removal because I'm terrified of going under anethesia. Which I know is silly.

I'm sure everything will go fine!

Jen said...

We've done four or five sets of tubes, tonsils, adenoids, and tonsils AND adenoids. My poor children. And I definitely have some advice.

Have something on hand in the car in case he throws up. A lot of stuff (I'd say blood, but don't want to freak you out worse) runs down their throat during surgery, and eventually it will come up. Usually on the way home. Not pleasant if you aren't ready for it.

Other than that, it really isn't that bad. Sometimes they can have a hard time coming out of surgery, but the nurses will help with that. If he has some special toy/blanket/etc. that can help (depending on the kid).

Use the pain meds. They should give you some you some children's pain elixer, and if they don't, ask for it. When my son had his tonsils out it helped him get good sleep that first twenty four hours, and kept him from crying - which can't feel good.

Get him some things to entertain him while he recovers. Things he can sit and do/play with/look at quietly. Keeping them quiet and making sure they get lots of sleep (and fluids) is the most important thing for the first day or two. After that, it's pretty much back to normal. Hopefully your little guy will get better as fast as mine did.

Oh, and they can't talk much at first, so a bell or something (for them to call you) is also fun/helpful. Good luck!

Staci said...

Hey good luck so who is your pediatrician we are looking for someone to go to and would love any input!

Shannon said...

Totally know what you mean. Both of my boys have had tubes in their ears. An even simpler surgery than Slayde's but still scares mom and breaks her heart for any fear/pain/confusion they feel. Good luck!!!

Tiff said...

Yep, my daughter went through the same thing when she was 3 yrs. old, she was fine within a couple days.
Go with Kritta's advice, her comments were the best yet.
Big hugs to you and DCar!

Mariah said...

My oldest had her tonsils removed about 2 years ago. Waking up is painful to watch because they are in pain. She was pretty sore for about 2 days. NOW...she is WAY better off, barely gets sick anymore, and I'm like you.. I try to let nture run it's course. He'll be better off without those nasty tonsils in the way.
I'll pray for a speedy recovery

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Thanks you guys. He was in and out in a snap!!! You were right Mrs. B...My heart nearly jumped out of my chest when they wheeled him away from me.

He told me later that the nurses were making him laugh and then all he remembers is falling asleep!!!! So that was good.

He has already tried to sneak a cookie but I caught him after one bite...the little stinker.

So fluids and pudding and popsicles and jello and some mashed potatoes.

He slept some and now is playing the XBOX...so we will see.

Thanks SO SO SO MUCH Kritta and Jen for your specific advice...it is so good to hear what people suggest! All has been right on the money!

It was so sad to see him moaning and lethargic when he came to after the surgery...I am so lucky my kids don't get sick much because I was a freakin' basket case...who knew I was such weak sauce!!! lol!

Love you guys so much...thanks again!

Amber & Baldy said...

I think it has something to do with your hubby's side! I had enlaged adenoids when I was about his age, but they left them in, after the doc shoved a camera up there! My mom's side of the family just had a discussion about this while I was there, and they all said it was the best thing that they did for their kids/themselves. He's going to be fine and sleeping better before you know it! Tell him I said I love him! XOXO to the whole family

Amber & Baldy said...

Oh, and D just had his taken out less than a year ago!! He no longer gets sick like he used to! He is better than he has been in a long time! Love ya

Kritta22 said...

I'm so glad everything went peachy!!

To make your day better, you won!! you WON!! Come read my post! (I didn't even cheat so you could win!! Not that I would do that...I'm just saying.)

Kenz said...

Poor guy! He seemed perfectly fine yesterday! Well now we have a fun excuse to buy someone a get well soon balloon right? Let me know when! Good luck!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I feel for you! Hope it is over quick and you can be at peace once again.

Nice that you don't have the added horriblness of your son freaking out.

By the way, he's a total stud. I can tell from his awesome photos.

Shannon said...

Aw, hope all went ok. At least he's looking forward to the ice cream :)

I've never had mine taken out... and neither of my girls have had theirs, either. But my oldest did have to go into the hospital in order to have those silver caps put on 4 of her teeth when she was 5 years old. In fact it was done on her birthday! She freaks out at the dentist (still does, but not as bad) and wouldnt let them do the procedure at the office. So they did it at the hospital while she was under general anesthesia. And even thought it was an "easy" procedure, mama still worried A LOT.

nick said...

Everything will be all right! My dad and my brother both had it done and I don't think it was any kind of a big deal. Hope all is well.

Mindy said...

So I want details about how it went and his recovery time!! I need to have mine taken out...have for awhile now but I'm too terrified. I pass out just getting blood tests!

Blogging Mama said...

I had my tonsils out at 19 and it was very painful. It took about 2-3 weeks to recover with minimal talking and eating a lot of jello :)
The good news is that the younger you are the quicker and easier it is to recover from this. Which is why they do this a child instead of waiting until you are an adult. Lets face it - adults are wimps!
I'm sure he'll be begging you for ice cream at least three times a day in no time.

Susan said...

My daughter had hers out last June - she was 5. Best advice: dose regularly with tylenol or whatever else they give you for pain. Have tons of popsicles - whatever kinds he'll eat. Jello? Italian ice? Whatever he wants!!! My little one wouldn't eat or drink at the hospital and they wouldn't release her until she'd have something - the miracle item was a mcdonalds mildshake. It was magical. Good luck. Grumpy for a few days - should be back to normal in a week. My daughter doesn't snore anymore and literally and hasn't had strep throat or another major cold since. Miracle. Promise.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh Shelle, I left you a comment yesterday. Where has it gone. There is a comment conspiracy going on between our blogs I think.

You poor thing, sucking your thumb and laying in fetal position. Are you okay?

I hope it all went well/goes well. It won't be that bad. I HATE to see my kids go through things like that too. But think how much better it will be in the long run. He'll be able to breathe. Awesome bonus. I had mine out when I was 10. I remember lot's of Barbies and popsicles. I had to stay over night and that was scary. I'm sure it's much better now.

I've often considered it for a few of my boys. Breathing is just so cool.

Best of luck. Love ya!

Jen B. said...

I hope all goes well with the surgery! One of my friend's had a son who had that done & it wasn't so bad. Hopefully you'll all have the same experience! Thinking of you!

Other things to read

Blog Archive