Monday, December 8, 2008

Don't Tell me what to do!

Here is one of those times I get to tell you a little more about me.

I know...TOTALLY...

Lucky you.

So after this you may either hate me or love me...but it's going to have you going one way or the other.

I'm lazy when it comes to telling me what to do.

If someone COMMANDS me to do something, or tells me how to do something, or issues me to do something, instantly I revert back to being a child and I resist.

Strong and Immovable.

Most of the time people are just trying to help, or just trying to get my help, but for some reason it is like teeth scratching on a balloon or fingernails scratching down a chalkboard to my system, and I immediately rebel.

When I was first married I decided I wanted to cook my husband spaghetti. Easy enough, for someone that almost always cooked sandwiches and cereal and dry Ramen.

I began cooking.

My husband got home and I had a bunch of pans out and had dirtied them all. I was so excited to show my husband that I was cooking for him. I knew I didn't need to rush to him to welcome him home, we had a ritual as a newly married couple and that was for him to come up behind me, find me, and kiss me senseless...aaaahhhh, the good ol' days.

After our ritual had commenced he looked at the NOW disasterous kitchen and said, "Shelle you know you can use one pan to cook spaghetti. Two at the most. You don't need every pan we own. Ya know, just for next time so it is easier on you and me...clean up won't be so much."

I went from normal, content, and ready to please newlywed to demon-screaching-ready-for-revenge-hell-bent-on-defying my husband, newlywed. The NERVE of him...he was a MAN...who was HE to tell ME how to cook?

Was it logical? Yes.

Did I care? No.

And I continued for the next year to purposely dirty more than two pans when I cooked anything to prove that I KNEW what I was doing.

When I dry some batches of laundry and let them sit in the basket, sometimes forgotten, to fold...intending to fold them, but haven't yet.

If my husband walks by them and asks me when I'm going to fold them?

I leave them that way for a few days to prove them I meant to leave them there in the first place.

Are you catching my drift people?

I don't really like to be TOLD what to do. I like people to assume I have a brain and that I KNOW what I am doing.

Even though, underneath all the craziness, I KNOW I don't know what I'm doing!

Have I totally confused you yet?

Good. Maybe that will stop your from judging me...because this is a really bad personality glitch I have...and have been working on it since birth!

Love,

Shelle

Anyone else suffer from this personality plague? Does anyone have fast remedy for it? I'm sure my husband will love you FOREVER!!!

Other things to read

Blog Archive