Thursday, June 10, 2010

PeePs, Dance, and Makeup!

My little PeePs.

I put her in tap this year. If you have been reading me at all you know that dance has been a big part of my life.

So it isn't hard to figure out that my daughter will be put in dance. People expect that. What they are confused about is that I put her in tap.

Confused-nose-in-other-peoples-business-parent: "Shelle I see your daughter is ONLY in tap"... nose scrunches a little.

Me: "Yes, that's because it's an incredible waste of money to put my FOUR year old daughter in ballet and jazz when she really just needs to learn rhythm and counting and the basics of musicality right now, tap teaches that. Believe me, she won't hurt in ability if she doesn't start ballet or jazz at the young age of four."

Confused-nose-in-other-peoples-business-parent: "But you danced."

Me: "Yes... so?"

I got that a few times. That was always my answer, of course, I said it with a smile on my face! :) I'm always courteous, my mom and dad taught me well.

Anyway, being normal, I began to worry if my daughter was actually learning anything from this class and if I had made a wrong decision, because every time she came home and I asked her to show me what she had learned, and she would say, "I forgot Mom, can I go play?".

By the time recital came around, I had prepared myself for my daughter being the one little girl just standing their, frozen, staring out in the crowd... and I would console myself by saying, "Well at least she got experience out on the stage" as my husband grumbled, "That was a complete waste of money."

As we were driving to the recital I started to prepare her, telling her that no matter how things went, Mommy and Daddy are already proud of her. You know what she said? "Mommy, don't worry, I was made to be on stage!" I kid you not. Those words came out of her mouth. I thought to myself, "WHOA! She's too young to already be a big talker like her DAD!" (My husband speaks daily of how awesome he is, don't believe me? Just ask him!)

But I want to boast a little here. My daughter was fantastic!!! She was one of three that actually knew what she was doing, or at least followed really well. I wasn't wrong! She also was on beat so she learned musicality! Big sigh of relief. I felt completely validated.

In my euphoric state of happiness I excitedly went to collect her from her teacher after her performance and grabbed her to hug her tightly! Her daddy had given her flowers and she was smiling so big! So I asked her, "How did it feel to be out there on stage". Without hesitation she answered, "I just liked wearing make-up!"



If you're bored you can watch her debut right here!



Love,



P.S. I am also in a debate about technology over at Real World. I say it is overriding our family interaction on a day to day basis. Go over and see who you agree with!

27 comments:

Always Home and Uncool said...

One the groups in Thing 1's dance show danced to the SAME SONG. Must be some universal dance recital from hell CD they all use.

That said, my gosh, it's a mini-Shelle!

T said...

so STINKIN' cute... my two daughters were in dance for a few years before taking last year off... maybe it's time to put them back in so I can brag about their coordination and grace on my blog :)

Gucci Mama said...

She looks just like you! What a beautiful girl!

I danced when I was little too; it was very much about the make up for me.

;)

SciFi Dad said...

I couldn't listen to the video (in a meeting)... tap without sound is odd.

I never really thought about dance from that perspective. My daughter is moving on from a generalist "dance" to the specialized forms, and we're looking at jazz and "something else" (varies between hip-hop and ballet). Maybe tap makes more sense for the meter reasons you outlined.

Also? Your daughter is stinkin' cute.

binks said...

Totally cute, even if I didnt watch the video YET (I'm at work -shhhhhh!)
I would totally expect to see Peeps in dance class. But girlfriend, you need to get that cutie modeling!

I expect to see her on SYTYCD in 2025!

615sWife said...

awww she did great! She is a lot more brave then I was at her age (:

Garden of Egan said...

Oh my heck!!!! She is darling!!!! Can I have her?
Please?
I promise not to break her!

Ya, she is the best dancer ever!
Cuteness!!!!!!

Seriously....I want her.

DCHY said...

People are surprised by my older daughter...she's only 8 but she is TALL and solidly built at 100.0 lbs. She told me she would like to learn how to play softball (I was natural at hitting baseball and played catcher/pitcher in softball) and when I look at her, I think "Catcher" but I am not gonna make her into that. I will train her in all positions to see how she adapts. I totally get it. :)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Kevin- lol@CD from H-E- double hockey sticks! Hehehe -- she is a dead ringer for her father though, she only looks like me when her dad is no where near. Sigh.

T- we have to have SOMETHING to write about!!! Ha!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

GM- thanks! Like I said, she looks like her father! And admittedly it was all about the make up for me also! You danced? I keep finding things out about you that I like more and more!

SciFi- I sent you that super long email about why I think I'm right... But I say put daughter in Hip Hop--it's just plain fun!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Binks!!! That is my new goal! SYTYCD 2025!!! Ha! I'd love her to model and support me with it ;)

615s-She may look like her Dad, but she is all me in personality---i was known to step in front of people when I was little so they wouldn't take any of my lime light! :)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

GofE- you can have her to discipline her-- she is stubborn! :) but she is also pretty inside-- but then she's mine so I'm partial! :)

DCHY- yea sounds like you do get it. I am not going to label what she has to be, but I want her to have fun while she figures it out! :)

Kristina P. said...

She is adorable! She did a great job. Sounds like you did the right thing.

Barbaloot said...

What a doll! Born to wear make-up and be on stage? Not something I can even remotely comprehend, but it was definitely fun to watch:)

Danielle said...

Wow, she is absolutley georgous!

Melissa Bastow said...

Shouldn't you, as a former dancer, be more qualified on what types of classes a 4 year old should take and therefore be the one giving advice to the nosey other parents who are just non-dancing dorks anyway?

Kazzy said...

She is so pretty! I think tap is a great foundation. Good job!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

What a cutey! I loved it when my daughters were in dance. Enjoy the moment.

Kritta22 said...

Oh I love her!!!

I want a little girl!!

Jillybean said...

She's darling and she did great!

I tried to put my daughter in tap when she was 5, but our studio discontinued the class because not enough kids were signing up. I think she would have loved it.

Devri said...

umm ok lets see here. 1st she is gorgeous! 2nd.. My MOther has her own dance company (well not anymore) and so umm I did it all from ballet, to point, to jazz,hiphop, and tap.bla bla bla.. But what I have grown to know since growing up in the art is that all little girls can have their natural in anything they choose to do. up to age 6,7,8 is when they really start to get it, so anything before that is umm how to put it nicely.. just enjoying the sport. For instance. lol I chose not to put my daughter in soccer intil the 3rd grade, she picked it up as fast as all the kids who had been doing it 'all their life". and she now is in the 5th grade on a competive aaa team with scholarship. So you are right, get them when thier young to get their rythm, get the makeup and get finding out what they like.. ok now that I made a post out of my comments I will shut up. and probably people will disagree with me, but that is just what I have experienced.

YOu Rock! tee hee..

promise I will ground myself for this dumb comment for a week!

Jack said...

My daughter keeps saying that she wants to dance. But every time we sign her up she complains.

Crazy females always changing your minds. ;)

Amy said...

she is so adorable. i love recital time. my four year old and seven year old get so excited when it is time for make-up, costumes and the stage.

i put mine in a combo class that has tumbling, ballet and jazz. It has been great for them, because as you pointed out- 4 year olds are NOT going to learn technique. It is all about getting comfortable moving, hearing the beat and the music, and performing. :)

handstowar said...

I see many of these in my future.

Your daughter is an absolute doll BTW.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Oh how funny! She is a hoot!

I put my daughter in dance once a couple years ago. Unfortunately she inherited my grace and coordination. :D

Maybe we'll try again next year!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog !!Thank you. They are really great .
do not miss my goods , they are very beautiful !!
Fashion watches
Discount watches
Antique pocket watches
Engraved pocket watches

mother goose said...

adorably cute, girls got rhythm! so what you are saying, is it's all my mother's fault for not putting me in dance, right?? I mean, I hear that! So, I'm going to let her know that yet another person confirms my thoughts on why this girl can't shake to a beat! LOL

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad