Friday, April 30, 2010

I found out I'm just like a six year old boy...


My kids are allowed to ask for ONE thing from Santa and one back up thing, just in case the elves at the shop aren't able to make enough of the first toy in time for Christmas.

A couple of Christmases ago my son asked for a Ben 10 watch.

He had watched the commercials over and over again. (What!? Don't judge that the TV was his babysitter…don't you DARE judge ;)

When I finally went to the store to see what was so cool about this watch, since it was the one thing he wanted above all else, I stood there dumbfounded. It wasn't much. It cost all of $9.95 + tax (the price was the only positive point) and made of plastic. Basically you could look in this hole and it would pop up different monsters as you moved the dial.

It was a dumb toy.

I tried and tried to get him to want something else from Santa.

But the little 6 year old was determined that the "Ben 10" watch was THE toy.

So come Christmas morning he got his wish. Only that the day was a disappointment for him. See the expectation of this watch was that it would transform him into an alien. That's right, you heard me correctly, he would put this watch on and "abra cadabra" he would be an alien and fight other evil aliens just like the "Ben 10" show. It broke my Mommy heart to see the fall of his Christmas Morning face of joy to one of disappointment and disgust.

Him: Tosses the toy aside.

Me: "What's wrong? Is that not the right watch? Did Santa get it wrong?"

Him: "No, but it doesn't DO anything. Ben 10's watch turns him into aliens".

Me: "Oh! Well... you can see pictures of aliens!!! Isn't that cool?"

Him: Looks at me like I'm insane, "MOM! That's DUMB!" Sigh of a 6 year old's disappointment and frustration.

Yet, each year he still keeps up hope that the new toy he wants will fulfill his childhood fantasy!!!

I found out this week that I'm no different then a six year old boy who expected a watch to transform him into aliens.

A conversation between MSM and I (The following conversation may or may not be verbatim or what I choose to hear and choose to make up in my mind… just sayin…)

Me: "So when do you think we will move into a house after you graduate? I have ideas and stuff I already am thinking of--like, stuff we need and stuff I want, and dividing them into a list of importance--the wants sometimes coming before the needs and I just can't get to far with that list until I know what size our HUGE mansion is going to be or are we going to decide on a BIG piece of land and a moderate size house... and who will clean this house and stuff like that…" (You know because we deserve all of this right off)

MSM: sighs and looks at me bored, "I need to find a job first Shelle".

Me: "WHAT!? You mean you don't graduate and just get a job!?"

MSM: "Funny--but no I didn't plan on looking for a job until after I graduate."

ME: "But…But… I told myself I was done as soon as you graduated. Done with working full-time, done with the crazy life, done living in a basement… done done done!!!"

MSM: "Well--as much as I would love to accommodate your expectations (and fantasy world--I heard him say that in his mind) it's just not going to happen. I first need to concentrate on my Senior project and my finals so that I CAN graduate before I can think about anything else. You do want me to graduate right?"

ME: "But…But…" as I phase out and drool begins, my expectations shattered with every breath and word that comes out of my other halfs mouth.

The hole at the end of this proverbial tunnel just got a little further away. In my mind, "graduation" was the end of that tunnel, but my husband forced me to realize that the "end of the tunnel" is just a mirage in a desert. It's as if he is singing to me, "First comes Graduation, then comes job search, then comes the entry level position and the fight to move up!" I think that is how that song goes?

My Christmas morning over joyed face… had fallen. And it wasn't pretty, it had wrinkles and freckles, and a KILLER ugly scab from the KILLER ugly cold sore I had.

Yet… yet… this week.

I can't find myself to give up hope or to be unhappy for long because, my HUBS is graduating and we can begin our life again… no longer feeling like we are frozen in time while everyone moves ahead of us at a quick pace. Not that I ever move at a quick pace (just ask my husband) but we WILL be moving (in life), at our own lazy pace, but moving nonetheless. How cool is that!?

Now I just need to decide if I want the Mansion or lots of land with a moderately sized house on it… tough decision.

Comic taken from here.

Can anybody else relate to being a six year old boy???


30 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Absolutely! And I really hope aliens invade your new house.

Southern Sage said...

Dang.
I was thinking you farted then laughed hysterically!!!!

Sigh.

What you do is start sending out his resume now...........
set it up then tell him when to be at the interview!

Lara said...

Yes. I was a six year old regarding this exact issue! My hubby finished with school 4 years ago, but I didn't get MY house and the right job until this year. I was pretty impatient about it the whole three years of waiting.

Good luck! Dreams do eventually come true. :)

Lisa said...

Just don't stop moving...it will all come in due time and we will be here to celebrate with you!

Mae Rae said...

i am a six year old boy. i always think that the glass is always half full. I don't want to hear that that is not the case. It is very disappointing to know otherwise. I am behind you though. I know that the rainbow is right there on the other side of the dark cloud...and for you the cloud is moving.

Garden of Egan said...

Well, I hope you enjoy the mansion.
I think you are totally reasonable to expect the fabulous job offers to come right in immediately.

You should come this direction. You need to toughen up a bit...you've gotten all soft living in a warm climate.

Emma said...

You sound like me.. I told my husband that I need a plan I need to organize I need to be told what to do, waiting is not an option!!!

Good luck, I say go for the land, cleaning toilets is not fun at all!!!

Homer and Queen said...

Well THAT brought a tear to my eye! I remember well that feeling...thinking that we were going to have loads of money and things. Lots of things. Things people had worked their whole lives for. I still blame it on the kids!

T said...

I totally relate... and I won't dash your hopes by saying anything about how long after graduation it took ManOfTheHouse to land a job that paid enough (and that he liked enough) for us to settle down. At least now I have my Mansion on a moderately sized lot. (and Shush - it's MY mansion, I can call it whatever I want!)

Adoption of Jane said...

I just love this post!!! I use to think like a 6yr old boy a lot! I actually miss my naive ways. Things change in life. You get faced with things you never thought you would. Autism has made me an old soul. And a very logical one in an illogical world.

Just Jules said...

go for the land - more house = more to clean. land is good.

next, it is tough- the hard part does start now. because work draws guys away. it is not what we think. the balancing game begins now.

i get it, i still like to think things are going to be a-ok perfect if only...... and when........

Terresa said...

My son is six and you know what? With his biggest concerns being getting enough time playing Lego Star wars on the PSP and acing his spelling test, I think six sounds pretty good. ;)

Barbaloot said...

Apparently I can't relate cuz I really don't want to turn into an alien... weird. I hope a job falls right into your husband's lap the second he's finished with school. I feel like you deserve it.

Cherie said...

It is hard to be a planner and not be in charge - LOL!
First, congratulations to both of you on your husbands graduation! Once that hurdle is done the world is your oyster...truly, even if it feels like it is moving slow - it will all come.

I hope Aliens do not invade!!

Homemaker Man said...

I can totally relate. We moved into this house with no dishwashr and when we finally got one, I was positive that I'd doing a lot of sleeping in and very little actual house work. I wish aliens would invade my vacuum cleaner and make it a super vac. Or at least a dyson.

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Patience definitely doesn't come with age, unfortunately. Dang! Congrats on your husband's graduation! That is so awesome!

SciFi Dad said...

I think it's impressive that you have been able to live in a basement this long. It can't have been easy.

April said...

My mansion....well.....ummm....it's beautiful! (That really took a lot of effort to say.) But, it's mine, and I don't have to fret every time it's time to pay the mortgage either. =)

♥Georgie♥ said...

LOL...Oh yes I can...a 6yr old boy and a 12yr old girl...that's my specialty at this moment in time...

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Kristina P--that is to be expected.

Southern Sage--Wel I mean I do that, but I usually don't admit it because I'm a lady. Good idea about sending out the resume.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Lara- HOLY COW girl I think I would've slit my wrists! But I'm so happy he got something he loved.

Lisa-Thank you! I hope DUE TIME is equal to RIGHT NOW! ;)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Mae Rae-Me also!!! I hate for my bubble to be burst! Not fun. Bursting bubble people should be shot! ;) Cool image of the rainbow and so true.

Garden of Egan--I sense sarcasm... hehehe

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Emma-First of all you're gorgeous, holy heck girl. Second of all... that is me. I want a plan and I want to organize it. But in my lazy way. See how that works? And true about the toilets... HATE HATE HATE to clean them. So good point.

Queen- bwahahahah @ tear in your eye. Good to know that I have someone to blame it on. But you're saying it NEVER gets better! aaaacccccckkkkkk!!!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

T-yea keep that downer in the hush hush! I'm happy for you guys. I'm just crossing my fingers...

Adoption of Jane- I think people try so hard NOT to be naive and they then discover it's overrated being all knowing. Because the good comes with the bad... ya know? Your stronger for your experiences... Love ya girl!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Just Jules--"next, it is tough- the hard part does start now. because work draws guys away. it is not what we think. the balancing game begins now. " well ho humm girl... you are the bursting bubble type ;) hehehe

Terresa--Amen my friend... Amen.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Barb- lol... thanks Barbs. I think we deserve it also... HELLO we lived in my parent's basement for FOUR years!!! :)

Cherie--ME also, because that BEN 10 watch doesn't work so we can't defend ourselves!!! Thanks though for the pep talk... we are kinda excited for the next chapter.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

HomeMaker Man-we totally want a DYSON, my husband drools over it when we look at them at Walmart... admittedly so do I. Funny you mention that about the dishwasher... I thought that when I got my dishwasher that I would no longer have to clean up after dinner... THAT didn't happen.

Alyson--no I think my patience has gotten worse to be honest!!!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

SciFi--Let me tell you... it's been up and down. But we've made it. I think.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I wanted to respond back to everyone but I ended up Kritta-ing myself!

Jack said...

On behalf of young boys everywhere I am required to correct you- it is not a watch. It is the Omnitrix. And with that I am out the door and slinking back into the darkness. ;)

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad