Saturday, August 23, 2008

Putting life into perspective--The Last Lecture

I'm sure a lot of you have already seen this...but for me, yesterday after visiting HIS blog, I was reminded of where my perspective needed to be! I actually hate those slaps in the face...so parallel to the saying, "Misery loves company"...well the guilty also "loves" company :)

Even though the thought of death can be sad, I feel it is only for those of us left behind who mourn, because I believe the world we return to, if we have lived our life well and with goodness, is joyful and incredible beyond measure.

Carnegie Mellon Professor Randy Pausch's lecture is uplifting and makes you think, he even makes you laugh, but at the end, he also makes you cry.

If you have 10 minutes...take the time to watch this if you haven't...this is his condensed version when he appeared on Oprah...


And if you have time to watch his ORIGINAL lecture, it's about an hour or so long...Here is what the person on You Tube wrote about it:
Carnegie Mellon Professor Randy Pausch (Oct. 23, 1960 - July 25, 2008) gave his last lecture at the university Sept. 18, 2007, before a packed McConomy Auditorium. In his moving presentation, "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams," Pausch talked about his lessons learned and gave advice to students on how to achieve their own career and personal goals. For more, visit www.cmu.edu/randyslecture.

Hope all have a good Saturday!

Shelle

10 comments:

Kritta22 said...

K so I'll come back and watch the video when my minchkin is sleeping. But I haven't to ask you, don't get offend...do you have tattoos around your wrists? On your top picture, my hubby pointed out that it looks like you have a drawing on your wrists. I said No I don't think so. but now I'm curious....soo??

Natalie Sue said...

My guess is it's from the lettering on the mirror - objects in mirror are closer than they appear. How's that for a guess? (I will come back later, too)

Dolly said...

Thanks for posting these awesome videos! They warm my heart :)

Shelle said...

Kritta...I seriously love you, like I would get offended by anything, no really, you can always ask me anything! It is really hard to offend me, and if I did get offended I usually am over it super quick!

But Natalie is right...it's just the Mirror lettering that says, "The objects in the mirror, are closer than they appear!"

My wrists wouldn't look bad with Tatoo's on them huh? Hmmmm... lol!

Kritta22 said...

Alright you JErK! You didn't say they would make me cry! I'll figure you in a minute.
I also don't get offend easily. I usually take things with a grain of salt. If you do upset me, you will be the first and only one to know about it. It's how I roll.
In light of this video, I just wanted to tell you how grateful I am for you. I know we don't 'know' each other but I know that if, for whatever reason I needed a place to stay, I got your couch. (Just for the record, you have mine too...even with those punks!) I look forward to each of your blog posts to get to know you better.
PS I wrote a 'letter' today thinking of you! Well not of you, but your letter idea.

Kritta22 said...

And yes I don't think tattoo wrists would look all that bad on you. Well minus the whole "Your body is a temple...blah blah blah!" He HE!

Shannon said...

"I can't change the cards I've been dealt, only the way I play the hand"

I love his philosophy. I think too many times we (or at least I do) focus on the negatives, the strikes against us and say "why me? why is this happening to me?" instead of dealing with the challenge facing us.

DeGraffenried's said...

Good job posting on your sisters blog! Now you need to add some of the pictures in Hawaii so they remember that they went!!

Kritta22 said...

Our hunt starts tomorrow...I was hoping she would do it on the weekend but anyway...the first thing we have to find the chicas last name...HELP! I can't find it!!
www.momdot.com

Kritta22 said...

Haas is what you need to know.

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad