Sunday, January 23, 2011

True Forgiveness via a new friend

"I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note - torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one. ~Henry Ward Beecher"

I was talking with a new friend about this very subject and she said something that hit true that had come to her. It was similar to this quote, something to the fact that if you forgive and truly forgive, then you cannot bring it up again whether it be 3 weeks or 20 years later. Not if you truly forgive.

It's hard to do that though. One doesn't want to forget what wrong was done to them because they don't want to be put int hat situation again, they don't want to be vulnerable... but that is forgiveness, as she so eloquently reminded me, it is being vulnerable again.

Do you learn a lesson? Yes.

Is it a fun way to learn? Heck no.

But true forgiveness is such a healing balm to the soul and I think I like the outlook Ghandi put on it, "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. ~Mahatma Gandhi"

They sure don't make it easy to be strong...

Thanks to my friend for talking to me about it. I love being reminded.

Hope you all have a good Sunday!

Love,

8 comments:

Que said...

That is very true. I would comment more but I think the post said it all.

Anonymous said...

SHELLE! :) I love that you used this! ;) Love ya girl! SS

Barbaloot said...

True/hard lesson. Whenever I feel like bringing up past issued (aka being petty) I remind myself that I gave that burden to the Lord and it's not mine to bring up anymore.

Emily said...

How very, very true. I am determined to put this into practice immediately. Not that I don't forgive people, but I guess I don't truly forgive because I do bring up things once in a while.

Candice said...

Hmm, that philosophy is also a good way to get trampled on by people who are aware of this.

I'll stick to my forgiving, but not forgetting. That's doesn't mean that I bring certain issues up every week, every year, or ever again even. It just means that I'm grounded in the harsh reality that sometimes people really do just suck sometimes.

SciFi Dad said...

Forgiveness is much easier after vengeance.

T said...

true forgiveness is an incredibly difficult concept to wrap my brain around sometimes. while to "forget" completely just might not be possible (unless you have a trick for mental erasing that I don't know about...)I think it is important to leave it in the past... and allow ourselves to move on without that burden of hurt and anger.

Garden of Egan said...

Forgive.
Yup.
Done and move on and don't mention again.
Unless you really need to use it.

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad