Friday, January 15, 2010

My thoughts on Comments... I'm a stuffer I think...

Stuffing comment boxes with comments.

Okay here is my thing. I was reading over at SciFi Dad's about his quest to get 100 comments, if he does he will join twitter. An ongoing inside joke with him and I, Him not wanting to join Twitter, ME trying to bug and irritate him about it until he joined (just cause I'm that kind of person) I was all stoked for the 100 comment challenge. But then he puts in a disclaimer, "No stuffing his comment box" or something similar to that.

Now he's not the only one I've heard say that before.

They don't want people just writing one worded comments in their comment box or saying things that do not have to do with their posts.

I get that. And in SciFi's quest I understand it completely. He wants his lurkers to De-Lurk and doesn't want people like ME just saying random comments to fill his box to 100 so that I get my way on our own little inside thing we have going on. I totally understand that. And it was a smart move on his part.

But it just got to me thinking. And then my mind went to commenting in general.

So this is my take on comment boxes (Not SciFi's but in general)

Who cares?

Honestly why is it a big deal?

Kritta use to do that before she became inpregnanted and moved to another state. But she use to be up while most of us were going to bed and she would "stuff" my comment box with her thoughts. I loved it. Didn't mind it one bit. And even some of her comments gave me ideas to post about.

I use to hold Random Thought Fridays and people would comment numerous of times "stuffing" my comments with some of the funniest stuff ever! But if someone commented 20 times others would say stuff like, "So and So must not have a life" or something like that. Does it matter!?

I remember on one post when me and two other friends Sage and Jules were commenting back and forth to each other on a Random post on a blog and someone made the comment that we needed to get a room and stop filling up the comment box!?

WHY?

I know over at Crash's when I have time to comment on her posts you can read anything from comments on the posts to what happened the other day at So and So's house. I think it's funny and I usually follow comments because I love to see the conversations going on.

The only comments I find are a waste of someone's time is, "Nice post" or something generic. And that's it. It usually has me rolling my eyes knowing they didn't read the post. Yet I don't want them to NOT comment... a comment is a comment.

So what I'm saying is stuff away. I don't mind. Say what you want. Get something off your chest. Be Generic. Make me laugh. Say something deep. Whatever you want. Say more than one thing! Come back often and comment again and comment on someone else's comment!

We try to do that over at REAL WORLD. In fact we WELCOME it! The comment box is meant to be our little chatty community where people say their opinions and then comment on other's opinions and on and on... (You should check it out today if you have ever wondered what Sage looks like or IS like)

Oh! and go over to SciFi Dads and read his post (he's a daily read of mine because his posts are open and honest and if you check out his comments most of the people that frequent there have LONG comments because they care and have something to say about what he writes) and then comment, but don't stuff his comment box I want it to be legit... and don't do it for me to get him on Twitter. Do it for HIM and help him reach 100 comments by Sunday because it is a goal and all goals should be met if they possibly can be ;)

***What do YOU think about the whole commenting and then commenting and then commenting on someone else's comments? Or just putting in your random thoughts in someone's comment box? Or making your comment box like some random chat community???

All I'm saying is I'm for it! All about it! :)

Love,

35 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

left scifi dad a comment.. he needs quite a few more. Good luck in your quest to get him on twitter..tried to tell him it was fun.

SciFi Dad said...

You're relentless. I only said no stuffing because I KNEW you would do it for twitter.

Kristina P. said...

I

Kristina P. said...

have

Kristina P. said...

mixed

Kristina P. said...

feelings.

Kristina P. said...

No, I think it's kind of fun. But, I can see how it can seem sort of meaningless too.

I've also seen people receive negative feedback about it. I saw one blogger who basically asked for the same thing, but all the comments were by like 2-3 of the same people, and someone commented how lame it was. To each their own, I guess.

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Kristina took my joke.

I think in the case of SciFi and Delurker Day, the point is to try to get as many people as possible to come out of hiding and leave a comment. His goal to see if he can get 100 of his readers. Hence, no stuffing.

As far as my blog goes, stuff away. Mariah left me 7 comments in a row to get me to my goal. (I guess now Sci Fi has to join Twitter.)

Anjeny said...

Nice post!!

Anjeny said...

LOL...You know the dying-to-pop-out jokester in me couldn't resist that one. I was going to wait and see what your reaction would be to the first comment but decided against it.

For me...I ♥ the kind of the comment box where there's conversations going on in there..love the banterings back and forth between commenters. And I actually like commenting on someone else's comments and getting responses to my comments.

I think that explains why I like hanging out in Crash's comment box, yours and the Venus v.Mars blogs. I'm afraid to say that I'm finding it more enjoyable reading comments than writing a post...sometimes when I'm too lazy to read someone's post, I will go straight to the comment box and if the comments are more chat box type and interesting, then I will go back and read the post. Does that sound weird?

Steven Anthony said...

I love all comments left on my blogs, big..small, make sense or not...it makes me feel like the person took the time to let me know they care...ya know?

peace

April said...

I love jabbering in a comment box. I think it depends on the person who's blog it is. Some like it, some don't.

Southern Sage said...

I say !!!!!!

Southern Sage said...

bring

Southern Sage said...

it

Southern Sage said...

onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

;-)~~~~~

Momma Sunshine said...

I love comments. Comments are sometimes the thing that keep me blogging when I don't feel like it. It's good to know when something I've said touches someone - positively OR negatively. Gave them something to think about. Or pissed them off. Or made them smile. Or whatever. Feedback is always welcome over at my blog.

Kritta22 said...

Oh I got mentioned on your blog again!!! I'm a superstar!!

Kritta22 said...

I totally have been lame with my commenting now that I'm growing a fetus!

But I see with my future midnight feedings, they will come back.

Kritta22 said...

I formula fed Connor so he slept through the night from the very beginning.

I heard breastfed babies aren't so lucky....do you know anything about this?

Kritta22 said...

K to your question....
I LOVE comments. I don't care if it's one word or fifty. I'm glad that someone took the time to comment.

Kritta22 said...

I find out all the time that people read my blog and don't comment. It only takes a mintue so comment away.

Kritta22 said...

PS I laughed out loud, for real, at Ajeny's comment.

Kritta22 said...

Alright, this prego has to go eat...

PS I would getting so excited about the 100 comment challenge...you know I could help a brother or sister out...but then no stuffing.

I'm a really good stuffer.

Kritta22 said...

Forgot to clicky the follower button!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I love comments, and I love Kritta and Anjeny and laughing. Can't wait to hear about your news.

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

I prefer legitimate comments like you said, no 'nice post' and that's it. I have been guilty of leaving a comment like that on occasion, even though I did read the post I just moght not have anything to add but want the person to know I was there.
I love conversations in comments (and Crash has some of the best I've ever read!). I usually reply via email to people who comment so we do have conversations that way. It allows me to make a stranger into a friend.

Amber Lynae said...

I like Stuffing. and I don't mind comments even if they are random. I just like to know that people cared enough to stop by and see what I had to say and say something to me. It is a way of connecting.

Terresa said...

Comments are like dark almond See's candy. You can never have enough. Mmmmm.

wendy said...

Um, dunno.
No, seriously, I love comments, I'll admit it. It stokes my soul and cuts down on therapy bills.

but I kinda want more then "nice post". That is like getting a christmas card where they only sign there name. TELL ME SOMETHING.

So what did you have for dinner last night. We are making Clam Linguini

Chief said...

I love comments... but only if they really read the post.

my pet peeve is when they comment and it is obvious they have no idea what the post is about.

I wll check out SCi Fi and if I don't have anything intelligent to say I wont leave a comment...

But I am always intelligent so..

Shawn said...

I love and appreciate ALL comments,----random or short or rude, or whatever.

I just love comments....

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I don't mind getting a "nice post". Sometimes you just don't know what to say, but enjoyed reading it. You know what I mean? Gosh, I hope I never said "nice post" to you! ;)

I think the conversations that go on via comments are fun! I have nothing against that. I think it's mostly the humorous blogs that get that. So, that definitely doesn't include me. I love Crash's, though I haven't been apart of one for awhile.

kys said...

I'm basically an attention whore so I'll take what I can get. :)

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

I'm sort of in the menality of who cares about a lot of things. Comments, word verification, followers. Why do people get so up in everyons grill because they aren't doing it the same way they want them to. To each their own. Play if you want, dont if you dont.

I personally think comments are a great way to play and talk if thats what your blog is used to. I chose to put a top blogger commenter on myblog so if I comment I'll push my own name up and I can't figure out how to make my name off the list. haha! So I usually dont comment back which means convos dont usually happen in my comments. :)

Here you Go SciFi Dad