Friday, July 23, 2010

My Trash Can of Thoughts Friend(s)-- am I the only one?

Do any of you have a good friend over the internet?

And you ONLY know them over the internet?

That's it.

But you are, what you might think of as, really good friends?

Wait, if you're reading this then more than likely you are a blogger?  And even MORE likely you have this kind of "friend"?

Yea, well I have this friend(s) (it may be more than one... just sayin) over the internet... might be YOU, might not be. (You probably can guess if it's you)

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you feel like me sometimes.

I mentally dump so much onto this friend(s). I think of them as somewhat of a trash can for my thoughts. At times I feel so bad because I feel like I may overload them.

I have gotten so use to them being around, that if they are not I kinda feel, well, empty or lost or out of sorts.

I know they actually have lives but being "friends" over the internet kinda makes it seem like they actually LIVE IN the internet.

Does that make sense?

Like logically your brain realizes they have a life, and you read about their life, and you know it's out there, but this friend(s) subconsciously in your mind should always be yours and yours alone. Ya know? Because they are your special mental trash can. And because I haven't actually seen or met them in person I feel like they aren't really real... but the friendship is definitely real! Do you know what I mean? And you just know that if they up and moved right next to you that you would hit it off so well... ya know?

And even after the honeymoon stage of getting to know them online--you still manage to connect in a way that is hard to describe?

And sometimes it's scary to meet these kinds of friend(s) in Real Life because what IF they don't hold up to what you have created for them in your mind? Or what if they meet you and start laughing and think they are being punk'd because YOU don't add up to what they thought of YOU in THEIR minds, and then you lose the one person that was YOUR trash-can-of-thoughts?

Anyone still with me?

*tap* *tap* Anyone out there? Is this thing on?

Anyway--





little button







I need more trash-can-of-thoughts friends (to even out the trash load-because I have many thoughts) and so I thought I'd meet them in REAL LIFE first and THEN make them my "special" online friend, it seems less confusing that way. 

Anyone up for the task?

But then again, I wouldn't trade the one(s) I have right now, and the possibility of meeting them is slim to none, so basically if you are up to hear my thoughts at any random time without warning please apply in my comment box by telling me the color of your teeth--that is an important detail.

Love,



22 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I didn't realize you were coming to the Cupcake Conference! Yay!

Sher said...

I have been a really lousy internet friend lately. Guess that's what happens in the summer.

I do have friends like that, though. I know exactly what you're saying, but I think most of the people that I've REALLY connected with thru blogging I have finally actually met in real life (you included!)

Feel free to dump on me anytime!

(You have my cell #, right?)
Text (or email) away!

Steven Anthony said...

how funny...we must be on the same wave length today...my phone post today was on this subject, my bestie online friend Jo, she rocks.

615sWife said...

I do! She is another police wife and we meet ove on myspace threw wives behind the badge. We talk and texted but we really have never talked on the phone but that is ok I would rather text anyday. It is easier for me since I dont have to worry about my son being loud. There are a few other women I have became friends with over the internet and they were also from wives behind the badge. I may actuly get to meet one of them when we go to vegas in a few weeks!

The Urban Cowboy said...

I'm really just a bot, sorry... ;)

T said...

yep, get it. and ManOfTheHouse sometimes stops my stories to ask if I mean "blogfriend" or "friendfriend" pffff - like there's a difference?

I wish I were going to Cupcake Conference... or maybe I just really want the cupcakes... is it bad to admit that I've discovered The Sweet Tooth Fairy here in town? maybe it's worse that I'm telling you how awesome they are...

Candice said...

I'm really a 400lb man that has my schlong in my hand at all times.

Fooled you!

Amy said...

I know what you mean. Lately, I have tried to meet a few more people as well. I'm pretty stoked that the Bloggy Boot Camp is in St. George now. If only I had known about the Cupcake Conference sooner...

My teeth might be ecru. At least not yellow. :)

I still can't believe we live in the same town...

SciFi Dad said...

I know what you mean about being able to dump out on someone (I prefer "being honest" to "dump"), but I can always see the other person as real.

Southern Sage said...

I'm like the cartoon guy that is in the trash can!
I never meet. I am way better looking in folks mind! I mean if it actually possible to be better lookin than I really am.

Garden of Egan said...

That is hilarious! Yes, I have internet BFF's.

What is the cupcake conference?

Your post just made me laugh to death!

Cherie said...

Totally can relate to this. I love my online Bloggy friends - some have become really close and I look forward to hearing from them.
The ones I have met in person I have LOVED!! I can't wait to meet more!!

Andrea said...

You're totally my trash can friend - for a few more days anyway. Then I get to meet you! Yea!

I understand what you mean. Most (okay all) my friends are trash can friends... that's really sad isn't it?

Mrsblogalot said...

Oooh! I love being in the mental trashcan with you guys!

But put in in a crowd of "real" people and I probably won't say a word ...except maybe squeak for help (-:

But never mind my neurosis with crowds, have an awesome time at the conference!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I totally understand your post here. I have a friend I met in a chat room more than 10 years ago. She and I dump at least weekly about everything from marriage, kids, work, home life... YOU name it we've chatted or emailed about it.

We've never met, and the possibility of meeting slim to none. 2000 miles has a way of doing that!

Have a good day.

Owl

Danielle said...

None of us must mind the mind dumps, cause we all do and we all still stick! Thanks God for the people who do!!!

Barbaloot said...

I'm always hesitant to meet blogger online friends---cuz I'd be the one that didn't hold up to their thoughts. I'm too much of a social mess to feel comfortable in those situations.

Joanna Cake said...

I remember a penfriend when I was a teenager. We corresponded for five years and were so close. In reality, it just didn't work at all. When she came to stay for two weeks with a friend, she was so different from the person with whom I had shared written thoughts.

She couldn't wait to leave and I couldn't wait for her to go. When a letter arrived after the event, I expected a thank you note for my parents.

The envelope contained a blank sheet of paper.

Sometimes the person you connect with virtually is very different from their physical persona. I guess it's the person they would like to be but life just gets in the way.

But sometimes, the two things do match and you meet someone who is the man of your dreams :)

Que said...

Sorry, I'm late. I have been pretty busy the last few days and I am just getting caught up on my blog reading.

That's an interesting post. I don't have any REALLY close internet friends. I think it would be pretty cool. But that's just the way it goes. PLUS, I'm sure any internet friend would feel punked when they met me because I immediately write the way I think. But when I meet people in person, I think more than I talk. And it takes a while for me to open up. Especially if the sole purpose of seeing the person it just THAT.

But it sounds cool anyway.

Papa K said...

I wish I had more internet buddies to dump on. It's feels like a "secure" place to dump all these issues or thoughts that I have. It's my therapy... and I'm sure a little of yours too.

BTW... my teeth ain't as white as I'd like them to be... I hate getting pictures taken next to my wife because hers are so damn white and PERFECT!

Kritta22 said...

Hi my long lost bloggy friend! I wish you would dump more on me! I send you pics and everything.

My teeth are gross so we can't meet until I get them fixed. Barfing for 9 months really kills your teeth.

But I will get them fixed soon and then we can make stuff!!

Just Jules said...

my teeth are the color of coffee- cuz I drink so much of it. and you can dump on me via text, email, FB, or in my living room right now--just walk up the stairs ;)

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad