Friday, February 12, 2010

You guys are Debbie Downer's for Valentine's for real!

So I LOVE valentines day.

Plus all you all are saying you hate it... and let's just say... I could never hate it.

And we need some positive light shed on this lovely day.

WHy is it so bad to think about love or romance or anything like that? It's not that bad of a deal. Everyone loves SOMEONE right? Best friend, family, lover, spouse... whatever.

But that isn't really why I love Valentine's Day. Nor is the fact that I L-O-V-E Romantic Comedies that roll out around this time of year...

Sidenote: I should mention here that my hubs kinda has it bad. We have our Anniversary, Valentine's, and well another special day where someone gets one year more mature! :) And so ROMANTICALLY Valentine's day get's thrown in the wash... come to think of it... all three usually do, but attempts are made at the Anniversary and the OTHER one... but not Valentines... except for the one Valentine's where I totally got a love letter. I kid you not! I might have screamed and cried and begged for it. But it was one of the most beautiful things ever received EVER in my life and I still have it to this day folded up in my scriptures. True Story. WORDS the written word... goes a long way for me. I married someone that hates to write... go figure.

But I love Valentine's mostly because of the candy and baked goods.

It's true. My love of holidays falls in order and priority of what candy and baked goods gets dished out that time of year.

For instance:



THese lovely Little Debbie treats are bought by the 10's and in WareHouse amounts at my house.

and then there is Rocky Mountain Caramel Chococlates. They are served year round, but we only get them this time of year.

And the Conversation Hearts. I LOVE them... especially the old ones, not the new sweet tart ones but the older ones... yum.

And SOUR balls.

And Heart shaped Reese's Peanut Butter things.

And cinnamon hearts.

And cinnamon anything.

and...and...and...

Red is one of my most favorite colors. Plus I look mostly good in it. Well I did with my brunette hair.

I don't know.

Just doesn't seem like a bad day to me.

Plus... I'm going to teach my kids how to put a Valentine's on a fishing pole string and go knock on their friends doors and we run and hide and when their friends answer the door and go to pick it up we are going to slowly reel it in to keep it out of their reach... and then drop on the ground and roll around laughing and pointing our fingers!

OH first challenge is up at BLOGVIVOR... I have to write a poem... I SUCK AT POEMS. Secretly pass me your creative poems and if I win you get half the loot! I'll be posting about the challenge as soon as I make what it says I'm suppose to make (a Valentine)... Scissors... glue...sniffing glue... should be a blast. I'm going to VLOG most of my entries... I bet you guys are SUPER stoked about it also!

Later, Have a good or sucky Valentine's day...depending on your view!

22 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I neither hate nor love Valentine's Day. At this point I just choose to ignore it...gee, wonder why?

Also, you were totally in my dream last night. It was crazy weird. I had gone to China with some family, but then I was going home early by myself, except somehow I ended up hanging out with you and your sisters. You had three sisters in my dream---how many in real life? It was weird and awkward and I woke up very confused.

Anjeny said...

I loathe Valentine's day, in fact, I loathe it so much that my friend and I have spent a whole month planning and putting together this wonderful, fun, romantic dinner for our husbands tonight to triple date...how's that for a Debbie Downer? LOL...I so kid you.

I mentioned on Tonya's blog that I still don't know if I like Valentine or not. I think in some ways I like it and some ways I don't. I love the romantic part, yes the treat, the flowers and the fact that it's one day my hub cannot come up with any excuse not to take me out, know what I mean? But I totally hate all the commercials, u know.."he went to Jared" whatever! All that emphasis on the material part of the occasion. Like you, our anniversary is in the same month as Valentine's day so we rotate on who does coordinate which...since I'm doing Valentine this year, my hub will be doing our anniversary which is in a week. Next year we rotate.

It's really sweet and cute how you kept your letter you hub wrote you. I would do the same if my hub is not much into writing but took the time to write one for me. Anyways..I wish you the best on your Blogvivor, I'd so sneak you a poem if I was any good at it so sorry girl...better luck next time...ahahah.

Have a great Valentine!!

Southern Sage said...

Valentines day is stoopid

Daddy Geek Boy said...

Oh Shelle, somehow I KNEW you'd feel this way about Valentine's Day. I have no issue with it myself. The world is cynical enough without spending time hating on a day where you're supposed to feel good. Sure it's a made up holiday. But so are Halloween or Arbor Day.

Brittney said...

Lol our dating anniversary, wedding anniversary & Vday is all in FEB. I love February!! hehe! Happy Valentines day! The fishing pole idea is too cute!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Valentine's is cool! Romantic comedies, on the other hand, blah!! The only one I like is "When Harry Met Sally".

February rocks! I love my birthday and I love going out with my hubby on the 14th! :) What's the date of your birthday?

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love the fishing reel idea so cute and Valentines Day is our 6Th Wedding Anniversary so it is a special day:)Hugs Darcy

Kristina P. said...

After I read your post, I went out to buy some delicious treats!

Malea said...

(written in middle school, no copywrite. Have fun)

Love is...

Love is a song
sung by a bird
Love is a whisper
never to be heard
Love is a flower
blooming in the sun
Love is a heart
that cannot be won
Love is a breeze
that softly blows
Love is a secret
that no one else knows
Love is a letter
written by a lover
Love is a poem
that's read by no other

SciFi Dad said...

I don't hate v-day, but I do think it's a bit of a joke. I'm romantic every day.

Kritta22 said...

I'm not a lover of V Day just cuz they raise the prices on anything and everything with hearts, red or pink.
BUT I've gotten around this by telling my hubby that we celebrate V Day on the 15th! (Payday and Lovey Dovey Day! Score for him!!)

IWA (e - va) said...

Roses are Red
Courtney's a villian
They were playing the part
and were out for the killin'

Villans Showing no love
no respect, gaining clout
Sugar got punked
and let her junk hang out!

Dragon man and black widow
could be valentines
Boston Rob is a jerk
Russell tries to align

The heros work together
and even found chickens
But the villans are evil
and give dirty licken's!

As Love Day gets closer
and Supah Survivor is played
Cant wait to see who wins
and who gets betrayed!

Thats my poem and btw.. I heart Love day.. LOTS!

wendy said...

I like valentines day better when I was a child. Loved getting the valentines cards at school.....they were alot more creative and different then they make now. NOW they are dumb I think.

BUT I LOVE.... LOVE
and I love heart shaped sugar cookies.

I can't come up with something clever for your poem dilema.

Roses are REd
Dandelions are yellow
I hope I don't
End up with a stinky fellow

see.

Cherie said...

I like Valentines day because I like to do creative things either as a couple, and when my kids were little I would do special family things.
It's an extra day to show how much you love the people in your family!
I love treats too!!

April said...

I can't believe I actually agree with Sage....hahaha! We need to plan lunch with T. All of us have Feb birthdays!

T said...

not a huge fan of the day... why can't my man give me treats/flowers/breakfast in bed the rest of the year??? every day??? oh yeah - 'cause I'd never get OUT of bed that way!

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
April and I
want to go to lunch with You.

soon.

really.

The Wixom Zoo said...

I love V-Day! My hub is not normally a romantic man, but he tries hard. This year I got pearls from The Philippines! YAY!

Melissa said...

I don't HATE Valentine's Day, it's just a day I don't celebrate. Hope you had a good one though.

Southern Sage said...

I lub me some April!!

She wins Shelles smartest commenter award!

Just Jules said...

I don't hate valentines day - what I do not like about it though is the pressure put on one day . i mean are there not 364 unvalentine days to show your love? to go to a movie, to write a begged for love letter. in fact if we do plan something for vday it is usually around the day - but not on it. too much pressure and people who are out are grumpy - seriously!

Just Jules said...

oh and gag on little debbies - you can have mine

The Crash Test Dummy said...

OMGOSH, I totally OD'd on those little Debbie cakes this year and that was a total Debbie downer for me.

Get it, Debbie downer!!

Ah, I crack myself up sometimes.

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad