Thursday, May 20, 2010

Karma and Oven Mitts

What does Karma have to do with oven mitts?

Easy. Just sit back and learn okay? Don't let this happen to you... or do.

I laugh at people. I know there are others of you out there that don't, and I wish I was as cool as you, but I do. Not usually something I can stop. I try, but it just begins in my belly and slowly makes it's bubbly way up until it bursts from me and I laugh out loud.

I get laughed at a lot also, so I get my fair share back. Just sayin.

Anyway, it's getting hot here where I live. That means our cars and steering wheels get really REALLY hot. I usually put up those things that go in your window to block out the sun, and it dulls the heat on the steering wheel so I don't burn my hands.

Well the other day I'm driving and singing really loud to myself in the car, because I was
alone. As I stop at a stop light, I look over to see an older lady, looking straight ahead, holding on to the steering wheel at a good 10 and 2 position, wearing... oven mitts.

I'm smiling to myself right now remembering it. It was funny. I burst out laughing. Laughing, laughing, laughing. I mean, at the time, I'd never seen anything so funny. I started crying I was laughing so hard. Make my shoulders shake kind of laugh.

Light turns green, I drive ahead, I think to myself how silly it was that she was wearing oven mitts while driving, I laugh some more.

End Scene.

A few days later. I walk out to my car on a particularly hot day. I get in, start the car, roll down the windows, put my sunglasses on, text somebody back, put my car in R (for reverse) and proceed to put BOTH hands on the steering wheel to back up. As I turn around to check for people or cars behind me (nobody watches where they are going in that parking lot)-my mind begins to register that my hands are BURNING!!!

Forgetful me had forgotten to put the SHADE up. Forgetful me also didn't think what the consequences might be, forgetful me got my hands BURNED!

I'm not kidding. Not like a hospital emergency burn, but definitely a, OW! WHAT THE HELK! Kinda burn. It hurt, and I may have whimpered.

My mind instantly went to Old Lady with Oven Mitts. I wasn't laughing anymore. But you know who was?!?!? Karma. She was laughing. She has never been my friend.

Anybody else out there laugh at people one day and then turn around and get slapped in the face with karma? Or does she only play tricks like that on me? Is there a lesson to be learned?

Let me know in comments.

Love,

30 comments:

Mae Rae said...

Karma ALWAYS comes back and kicks me in the glutes.

Alex said...

I dunno lol I'm weird. I don't really believe in Karma lol.

Sorry you burnt your hands though. Ouchie. I know what that's like.

Margaret said...

Karma always comes back and bites everyone! Sorry about your hands though.

Garden of Egan said...

I can't even fathom that kind of hot cause we're still only in the 60's here.
As far as Karma???? Well, ya all the time.
I'll make some rude comment about a patient faking a headache so they can get some awesome narcotics.......come to find out they have a brain tumor.
Total Karma. Shut my mouth kind of Karma.

So did you put oven mitts in your car????

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

MaeRae- fo sho! Goodness!

Alex! U just tempted for Karma to play tricks on you!!! No!!!!!!!

Margaret--so what? Your saying I'm not special?

GOE-hey that is foot in mouth syndrome also, and I have it bad! In the 60's is way cold...burrrr! And I'm thinking I'm going to start an etsy shop with designer like oven gloves, but for your car... Now just need someone creative to do all the sweat work!

Meeko Fabulous said...

Oh that sucks! I try not to give Karma a reason to come back and get me. :)

T said...

I'm not saying a stinkin' WORD - because Karma watches me like a HAWK lately... groan. (but sorry, I hate when my steering wheel is too hot to drive!)

SciFi Dad said...

Is that woman in the picture wearing oven mitts to protect her from the man-eating spaghetti?

Candice said...

I never laugh at anyone. EVER.

No really. It NEVER happens.

;)

Anjeny said...

My mom is totally big on this Karma stuff...I've been lectured too many times by her about Karma. Two of her most famous things about Karma were, you laugh at people, you will end up being the butt of a joke someday...and the other one is, you talk/criticize other people's children, how terrible they are, someday, your kids will be even worse. So, I try my darnedest not to do those two...hard sometimes not to laugh at people.

Sorry about the hands.

Danielle said...

Karma and me are bitter enemies! She always trying to prove something to me. :)

brooken'dus said...

hahaha I know I say "hahaha" everytime I comment....but I just laugh and laugh everytime I read your posts......that's why I keep coming back for more :)

~Kenny said...

Oven Mits..whether they are on hands or stirrups...always funny!!

Always Home and Uncool said...

I rolled down the window today and leaned my arm on the ledge and singed all the hair on my forearm. Karma is a bitch.

binks said...

Ummmm...... you guys ever heard of GLOVES??
Jus sayin....

binks said...

As for that photo, what the heck IS that lady doing?
Who ever heard of wearing all white while cooking?
The HORROR!

... said...

I don't know about Karma, but today we were driving and Dirk rolled down the car windows so I stuck my hand out. Well, he wasn't paying attention and rolled the windows up until he realized my screaming was associated with his actions! He rolled my window down for me and started laughing. I got mad at him and he said he wasn't laughing at me, but how random that whole situation was.

Just thought I'd share since it had to do with cars, laughing and pain... similar stories (although not karma on my end, but I do think there's karma out there)!

Love ya!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Meeko- but that is just way to logical.

T.- friends stick together... I see where you stand. Ahem.

SciFi Dad- I was trying to figure out what that looked like!!! Perfect description! Nice. I don't know what she is doing, the picture made me laugh so I posted it.

Candice- puh lease... We alls know your lyin. Make it believable if your going to do that... Like, "I don't laugh at old women in their cars"... Okay that wouldn't work either, but you know what I mean!

Anj- secrets out everybody... Anj and I didn't come from the same biological mother. Sigh. :)

Danielle- now see pretty people like yourself don't get effected by Karma! Everyone knows that! But thanks for sticking with me... See T! That's a real friend!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Brooke- that's because you totally know that this stuff happens to me for true!!!

Kenny- you lost this naïve girl at stirrups... What!?

Binks-i don't like that tone. :) I know about the lady, like who really wears white to cook!? Oh wait Chefs. But they don't have man eating spaghetti going up their arms, I think that is where she went wrong... Ya know? :)

...- LOL I can only imagine. I mean I wasn't laughing at you, okay I was, but imagining him just oblivious to you stuck in the window... That's like comedian show funny. Not when it's happening to one of my BFF's though-- tsk tsk at Dirk :)

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

Well. I've heard about stranger stuff. My hubby's old roommate in college was/is very very strange. CP was driving along one day and came up alongside said roommate. He was eating ramen noodles. Out of the pot, while driving.

If he ever calls, I never, ever under any circumstances pick up the phone...

I laughed last week about making Chick's dr and dentists appts for the same day hours apart. Then found out I could only get my dentist appointment for 9am on my birthday.

Yep, karma and I are really well aquatinted.

Tammy said...

I have to say that I have never had my steering wheel get that hot...I guess WA never gets that way. I think I would find the cutest oven mitts around and be styling while driving if I were you...

Karma...yes, she likes to follow me around!

Alyssa said...

That's too funny. What could be safer than laughing at an old lady wearing oven mitts to drive? Not that I'm laughing, of course. Wow, that karma; works quickly sometimes, doesn't it?

Hilary said...

I don't know if that's karma, or just someone older and wiser then you....
either way, the lady had some balls to wear oven mits. Personally I used to carry a towel around with me for such instances.
{found you on blogher}

Jack said...

I once walked into the men's room and found a guy dancing in front of the mirror.

Won't tell you what karma did to me for that one.

CaJoh said...

I love the picture— it gives a good picture of what that lady looked like.

I tend to press the side of my hand on the steering wheel if it's hot, or grip the bottom of the steering wheel since that is usually in the shade.

binks said...

ROFL - I JUST got the whole spaghetti thing.
Duuuhhhhhhhh!

wendy said...

SERIOUSLY?? oven mits

I'd be laughing too. It certainly is NOT that hot here yet.
I'd just keep some leather work gloves in the car/truck.
oven mitts are to bulky

and it you get mad and want to choke someone, the leather gloves would work better

Karma can be a beast for sure.

Southern Sage said...

Y'all are sissies.
I mean damn.

my hands are hot my hands are hot.

Sheeesh

Putcher big girl panties on spit in your palms and lets goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gucci Mama said...

Well, I would have laughed at the oven mitt lady for looking like a food and at you for burning your hands. Because I like to be an equal opportunity bitch.

;)

Green Monkey said...

I'm afraid to ask but..... define "older lady"

it can't be safe, driving with them on...was she crafty or suffering from dementia?

great post! you made me smile :)))))) (still smiling)

Here you Go SciFi Dad