Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Take out your blankets and your pillows.

I was at Harmons today at 9:38 pm to buy me some popsicles. I had a craving and I needed some PACE BAR popsicles--the best ever popsicles, mark my word.

But anyway, I was at Harmons, picking up my popsicles and as I was checking out the checker said, "Isn't it a bit cold outside to be buying popsicles?"

I had never really thought about it before because I do SOOOO many odd things. But yea, I guess it is kinda odd.

So pull out your pillows and blankets and gather round for story time, let me reminisce:

When I was young I would go and visit my Grandma Louise and Grandpa Jack every summer for at least a week. I LOVED visiting them. They lived in this old mining town in Nevada and it had charm. Now, as I grew older I didn't appreciate the charm so much, in fact, I abhorred the lack of technology my grandparents lived without, but looking back it really did have charm.

It was simple.

Now the one thing I remember MOST besides the charm and simple was that every time it rained, and it got cold, even in the summer, every time it rained my Grandpa Jack would have my Grandma pull out the vanilla ice cream and the hard cones and take us outside under a tarp and listen to the rain, in the cold, while we licked our simple vanilla ice cream cones.

Because of my Grandpa Jack I crave ice cream when it rains. I eat popsicles in the winter. I dream of life more simple.

Thank goodness for being odd... and for cold air and cravings for popsicles!

So what's your oddity that you picked up when you were younger?

16 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

Ice cream when it's cold isn't that much of an oddity... otherwise, why would they make candy cane ice cream? Right?

I have no oddities. I am perfectly normal.

(In other news, denial isn't just a river in Egypt.)

Candice said...

It's never too cold for popcicles OR ice cream! Frankly, I think the store clerk was smoking crack.

DCHY said...

My oddity was jumping out of my skin every time someone came into my view. I was a sight to behold for everyone. ;)

3GirlKnight said...

My gramma used to make real snow cones for use. Gave us a bowl to fill with snow and put syrup on it. Of course we were still all bundled up to play in that snow so we ate it outside.

Garden of Egan said...

I loved going and staying with my grandpa and grandma. They lived on a farm, and I got to see critters born, gather eggs, play with the lambs.
I loved it.
My grandpa always had doublemint gum in his pocket. I can't open a package of the stuff without being emotionally taken back many years.

Ice cream in your "cold"????
Please.
Come visit.
I'll give ya cold
and ice cream.

3GirlKnight said...

Jeez, my comment grammer/spelling is horrible today! "snow cones for us."

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Scifi--you sure know how to make a girl feel normal! Lol.

Candice--that could be very true-crack is common around here :)

DCHY-i bet! Lol. That would be hard if you couldn't here them coming up on you!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

GOE-my grandpa use to always watch MASH and now I can't help but think of him in his chair whenever I hear the theme song--or the news, he watched the news right after MASH. I plan on visiting some time.

3GK-i have never tried a real snow cone! I must do that! I picked up what grammar you were putting down :)

T said...

does the fact that I MUST eat popcorn when playing card games count... MUST :)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Actually--I have to snack when I play games... not necessarily popcorn, but SOMETHING. So yea, your odd :)

Living the Scream said...

Pace Popsicles are the best ever! I buy them in the winter as well.

... said...

Weird that I do not remember that. . . Saying you were under a tarp though sounds a little ghetto, you should at least explain that you were under a roof that connected the house to the garage!! haha! Our grandparents aren't that ghetto! haha!

Danielle said...

My grandpa would soak me a piece of bread in the meat juice of a meal. Like the juice from a steak. Weird, but if he did this for you, it meant you were special in his eyes.
I keep trying to get my daughter to eat it, but it doesn't hold the same meaning I guess.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Hmm, odd things that I do. There are so many. Okay, this is quirky, but I name things. For instance, we have these big boxes that we put Christmas ornaments in. My kids called them coffin boxes, but I call them Bill and Ted. Sounds better than coffin boxes, don't you think?

Enjoy your Popsicles. :)

Papa K said...

I still enjoy eating my boogers.

Kritta22 said...

Every time it thundered and lightning'ed in Seattle....which is like twice a year....we would have root beer floats. My great aunt loved root beer floats and would have them every storm. But she lived in Southern Cali where thunder storms happen more often.

I'm glad I lived in Seattle. I can only stand root beer twice a year.

We haven't continued this weirdness with Connor or Logan. We would have it every day in the summer here.

Here you Go SciFi Dad