Thursday, December 16, 2010

I felt completely naked without it...

Image taken from HERE.  The actual phone I own-
except not my actual phone!
So my husband and I decided we needed to run to the store when it was close to midnight. Both of our cell phones were charging (we don't have a home phone-just another cell phone we keep at the house for our kids to get a hold of us while we are at work) so we decided we didn't need our phones, we would just run to the store and be back.

I should note right now that us "running" to the store isn't a physical run-- nor is it ever a "quick" run. We tend to go to Wally World because it's cheaper and we always, and I mean 95% of the time, take more time then necessary and find more stuff we "need" then we planned on buying before we got there in the first place. This phenomenon happens at Costco also... and sometimes a Super Target.

Anyway, we left without our cell phones.

As we are getting IN our car I am feeling a bit out of sorts and I realize it's because I don't have my phone with me. I didn't want my husband to think I was a complete ninny for worrying about not having my cell phone...you know, "just in case", but I felt completely naked without it (and remember nothing FAKE on me yet, so me and naked equals much therapy for anyone). See he badgers me about not being able to live without it already all.the.time... so I didn't need to provoke him anymore to further getting badgered. Those of you that know me, been to lunch with me, or hung out with me for any amount of time KNOW that I have my cell phone on me pretty much ALWAYS (and that may be understating it a bit).

We get in the car and pull out of the driveway. As we get to the end of the street my husband says, "I feel weird with BOTH of us not having a phone, you know, just in case the kids need to get a hold of us".

Of course I was like, "Babe, they are already asleep" I casually shrugged my shoulders and continued, "so it's fine. We can live without our phones for however long we are at the store. Plus Grandma and Grandpa got them if they are in dire need of anything. So stop worrying about it...seriously, paranoid much?"

He just looked at me...

So I was like, "Fine, me too, let's just hurry to the store and get back as fast as we can."

Fastest trip to the store probably ever. Never leaving my phone again...plus, it got mad at me, totally froze on me while I was checking my friends facebook statuses and wondering why in the world they were up past midnight!!!

How about you guys?  Anybody else feel this way with their cell phone?  Married to it?  Feel safer with one on hand? Think I'm completely insane?  Wait... don't answer that last question...

Love,


18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Definitely. We don't have a landline. There have been a couple of times when service has been down, and I couldn't reach my husband, or anything. It feels so isolating!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Kristina-isolating is the perfect word!

SciFi Dad said...

First off, when I read this I thought, Wait, aren't their kids both like under 10? Is that even legal to leave them in a house alone? and then I remembered that you live with one set of grandparents (I forget which).

I feel like something's "missing" when I don't have my phone... I also feel like I'm inaccessible, which is something I hate.

MommyJ said...

I've gone back to the house to get mine when I was planning on being gone all day and I'd forgotten it.

I do fine without it, but feel more comfortable knowing my kids teachers can reach me if they need to. My husband can reach me if he needs to... we're spoiled I guess. When we were kids, our parents never had constant access to one another, did they?

Jillybean said...

When I forget my phone I feel like I'm missing a limb.

T said...

you know I am not much of a phone addict. I have one... I use it... but I'm not addicted - much.

when I leave home without it I still worry... what if one of my kids needs me? what if there's an emergency??? it's rarely out of my sight for more than an hour even if it IS the world's oldest working cell phone. (okay, okay - it's not THAT old... I don't have to extend the antenna or anything)

Garden of Egan said...

Wow, I can tell my generation gap is showing. I mean seriously, I was raised in the day of rotary dial phones.
I am so unimportant. My cell has gone for days and never rang. Left it home? Always.
Sometimes I don't want to be contacted.
Take the oprah challenge and go without your electronic devices. And I mean ALL of your electronics.

Garden of Egan said...

Wow, I can tell my generation gap is showing. I mean seriously, I was raised in the day of rotary dial phones.
I am so unimportant. My cell has gone for days and never rang. Left it home? Always.
Sometimes I don't want to be contacted.
Take the oprah challenge and go without your electronic devices. And I mean ALL of your electronics.

Garden of Egan said...

Wow, I can tell my generation gap is showing. I mean seriously, I was raised in the day of rotary dial phones.
I am so unimportant. My cell has gone for days and never rang. Left it home? Always.
Sometimes I don't want to be contacted.
Take the oprah challenge and go without your electronic devices. And I mean ALL of your electronics.

binks said...

I love my smart phone but am not glued to it at all times. It never fails that when I leave it at home, I am expecting an important call or my car gets a flat. What the heck did we ever do without them??

Wonder Woman said...

I won't leave home without it. And it's not so that others can always reach me, but it's because I never know who *I'll* need to call and when. Most of my ideas come to me while I'm out, it seems, and that's more often than not when I call people.

wendy said...

That is a problem of YOUR generation I guess.
I don't have a cell phone now. When I was in Utah, I had one, but only used it for emergencies and it was off most of the time. The kids would say "how can we call you if you don't turn on your phone". I'd say, it's only for emergencies.
they'd say...well, if there is an emergency HOW are we to get ahold of you.

I get baffled by all the things people can do with their cell phones. It is amazing really.
Holy old lady wendy....I just can't figure them out.

But MY best friend can't live without her cell phone either. She should have it surgically sewn into her arm.

Candice said...

I'm pretty sure the earth would stop spinning if I didn't have my phone with me at all times.

Sad but true.

Tit for Tat said...

Sorry Shelle, Im not sure Insane quite covers it.

Anjeny said...

Not to make you not like me even more Shelle, but I don't have a cell. I had one but it was literally collecting dust and wracking up by bill uselessly so I got rid of it. We have a land line so I didn't see the need for a cellphone at home and usually when I'm away from home, I like not being easily accessible to anyone. If my kids run into a need or emergency, my hub can get to them. I seriously don't like to depend on some device, I'll use it but I can do well without it.

But I do see where you're coming from. Since you and your hub are out of the house and the kids are left at home, one of you should have a cell in case they did need you, even if the grandparents are easily accessible to them.

Melissa said...

You are totally not insane, unless I'm insane too. So you might be insane!

And Wally world has some kind of magical power. I've never gone in there and come out with ONLY what I went in for. It's kinda creepy!

Love,
Melissa

annie valentine said...

I've realized lately that I need to put my phone down more and listen to my kids. I'm on it way too much. My goal for the new year? Less minutes.

(But I love having it when I'm alone in the car. There's always a sister to call.)

Anonymous said...

I am getting a little frustrated with phones in general, when we went out on Friday night for a celebration- at one point I looked around the table and everyone except my hubby and I had their nose in their phone. why can't people just be where they are with who they are with? honestly I too remember having the rotary phone with the 25 ft cord on it (that you knew JUST how far it reached until you were out of your moms grasp) and I also remember paging my mom at the grocery store when she needed to bring one more thing home with her.

I will forget to turn my phone on, not realize it is still on silent, or just plain forget where I put it for hours at a time if not more. I am afraid we are getting a bit to wrapped up in what is there instead of where we are and who we are with.

*Ahem.... so so so very sorry. This is a post I have rolling around in my head right now and I kinda went off here I guess. Apologize.

Jules

Here you Go SciFi Dad