Monday, October 4, 2010

I'm talking about Facebook... I'm sure you have an opinion...

I wrote a post over at Real World talking about Facebook and Relationships...

Ruin or not ruin... does Facebook play a role in the recent divorce rate?

Here's the beginning of my post... Click the Real World image below to go to the post...

My BIL’s favorite saying since Facebook came about, “Facebook is of the devil”. At first, I admittedly scoffed when he said that, chalking it up to him not understanding Facebook... or the technology world in general. But now? Now I believe he may have some kind of freaky intuition.


You see. The last two friends who have gotten divorced that I know of... BOTH because of Facebook infidelity. I’m not even fibbing. That doesn’t count the ones before that. But the last two which have been in the last two months... Facebook has been a contributor. People spending hours and hours on Facebook with games and updates statuses... neglecting family and responsibilities, an Internet addiction of another kind.

NOW CLICK and read the rest!!!

Venus and Mars

6 comments:

PorkStar said...

Yes it does, I also read statistics about it on CNN some time ago.

Stephanie Faris said...

Facebook provides opportunity. Just as women entering the workforce provided more opportunity 50 years ago. It's a shame...it sucks. I think people maybe connect with childhood sweethearts on there and think they can reignite some childhood flame but I've been on FB for three years or so and all I've witnessed are happily married former classmates posting pics of vacations and their kids.

Cherie said...

I am Anti-Facebook and always have been - ha ha I'm thinking about starting a club J/K! I totally think Facebook is a mindless timewaster for the most part. It has a few virtues, but very few in my opinion.
I think that too much information is shared and YES I definately think alot of relationships are ruined -not only marraiges, but other family relationships, friendships, etc...and people have also lost their jobs.

IWA (e - va) said...

I <3 FB! I joined 6 years ago when it was first started, and back then it didnt have all the fun games and glam it does now, but I think it does exactly what it was set up to be... A Social Network (originally for college students to keep track of all their colleagues and use them to their advantage)!

And like any addiction if people cannot control their themselves.. they always blame the substance.... I think people need to get a life, take responsibility for them selves, and if those spouses used FB as an excuse for getting divorced, they deserve it!

Really.. getting divorced over FB.... Crazy talk!

PS. i'm not a fb addict and dont know what its like to be one.. so if im being insensitive to fb addicts alike....... Build a bridge and get over yourselves!

American in Norway said...

I can see where FB is a problem or could be... but I think it is FAB.. & made the world so much smaller. Most of my family is on FB.. mom included.. it is a great way to keep up with people you wouldn't normally be able to...

Adrian's Crazy Life said...

I could see it. I got into Mafia Wars and a couple of other games and it really was addicting, to the point where I was spending hours a day at it. And I could see where it was affecting my real life and my relationships. So I quit the games cold turkey. I do miss them a tiny bit, but it's really such a relief. They are very addicting and fun.

I don't think that's a reason to bail out of FB completely, but a little common sense & moderation is a good thing.

Here you Go SciFi Dad

Blog Archive-For SciFi Dad